NAS Compares Synology DS1019+ NAS Vs QNAP TVS-951X NAS Comparison

Currently reading
NAS Compares Synology DS1019+ NAS Vs QNAP TVS-951X NAS Comparison

Synology DS1019+ vs QNAP TVS-951X NAS – Which to Buy?

With the newest 2019/2020 generation of NAS drives being uncovered from Synology and QNAP of late, those looking to buy a new NAS Drive can be broken down into two types. Those who looked at the new Synology diskstation and QNAP NAS and said “yes please”, and the ones who looked and thought, “nah, you are ok”. Today, we want to look at the latter users who are looking at the potential bargains and price cuts that older NAS such as the DS1019+ and TVS-951X released back in 2017/2018 and have narrowed it down to these older units. There is no avoiding the fact that the Synology DSM and QNAP QTS software platform evolved and changes much, much faster than the hardware and even NAS drives that are 1-2 years old will still support some of the latest and most powerful innovations available in the latest firmware updates. So, today I want to focus on two especially popular NAS drives in the last 12-18months and help you guys decide between them.
Continue reading...
- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

Can all the Windows/Android users on here please leave and go to qnapforum.com. ;)

I've read a few of these reviews and I don't recognise the Synology/Mac/iOS vs Qnap/Windows/Android demarcation. I don't find that useful, unless the argument is that Windows users are used to having to look for third party apps because the ones bundled in Windows are too limited/non-existent. For example, the Windows 10 email app is really stripped down.

As a NAS then either Synology or Qnap will do the job and for chassis' that support interface and disk upgrades then those should be consider better for particular uses. But it's as the expanded use of general purpose (personal cloud) servers where things become more interesting.

Having to become proficient in a number of technologies takes time, and this is where packages services will help develop understanding. How the service is presented (UI) and documented will ultimately lead to whether it is used or not. Synology has taken open source code and provided a web front-end to them and in doing so has made some assumptions in what features to support. Eventually some users will hit a point where the underlying code supports features they want but aren't in the package. This causes frustration ... but I would bet that if the package hadn't existed then many wouldn't even have got so have in using them.

Each package on Synology/Qnap should be reviewed in isolation and then hardware reviews can refer to them. I chose the DS218+ because of price and RAM upgradeability vs other chassis that had similar datasheet figures. I originally chose Synology over Qnap and others because of the price and features ... should I at that time want to migrate away from a home Mac Mini server. I did that in the end but found the 215j too limit in RAM to run what I wanted.

Spend for now with an eye on the future. If you don't plan to upgrade main client devices and infrastructure then 'the future' will be the same as 'now'.

I’m not disappointed from next one nascompares.com “pearl” of review statement. He (Robbie) keeps the line from PCWorld and rest.
There is missing only:
- if your grandma first name is Eva, then you should buy the Synology
- if your dog collar is soft, then you should buy Qnap

Few questions in a bottle for Robbie:
- how many domestic users have ethernet Cat 6a wired architecture? ... valid also for SOHO market
- how many domestic users have a switch with 10Gbps ethernet ports (also with adequate switching speed)? .... that will help utilize 10G performance
- how many users have 10G ethernet card installed in their PC? ... even Game users with e.g. 7k USD beast - Acer Predator uses 1Gbps single Ethernet. Valid for performance eater HTC Vive VR requirements.

When I need compare 10Gbps NAS I will take Synology DS1817, then I will get 2x10Gbps + 2x1Gbps both with Link Aggregation. Of course for 850GBP (re Qnap for 750GBP). It is also 8bay NAS as the Qnap, just to be sure - full size 8bay NAS.
Or purchase of DS1819 with PCI exp. slot for 10Gbps.
Because when someone has min. 2x 10Gbps Ethernet port in switch (no SFP, I mean pure Ethernet), the 100GBP saved in NAS is no break point. And this is the point of 10Gbps usage - no 100-300GBP money saving, but performance driven environment.

Then is the same price of compared NAS one and only reasonable input to model choice?

I’ll confess that when I wanted to jump into the NAS world, I was gravitating toward Synology because I didn’t like how Qnap’s NAS hardware looked and I didn’t like how the icons on their interface looked too (a bit Androidy which is not my cup of tea). :)
At this point I was sold. Very shallow I know :)
But I had to convince myself that I’m making the right choice, so I started reading more and it seemed to me that the Synology is better “glued” together, if that’s the word.

I’d like to play with a Qnap though if I can. Who knows. But those icons…!

Of course, the icons can catch you! Also colorised replaceable fascia of NAS, and remote control for the NAS LED colour change.
This is maybe a background of idea how bring useless 10Gbps single port for 80% of Mass market and push it as more important added value for them. Useless but important.
Seems to be as Nitro for a grass cutter.

We need a psychology section on the forum. Call it “The Shrink’s chaise lounge” :p

This is where members with technology problems can go for therapy. I’ll be the first one. I have many technology problems. Shapes, colors, interfaces, stupid port locations, aggravating requests during installations, manuals that make no sense to a talking parrot and many more…

We need a psychology section on the forum. Call it “The Shrink’s chaise lounge” :p

This is where members with technology problems can go for therapy. I’ll be the first one. I have many technology problems. Shapes, colors, interfaces, stupid port locations, aggravating requests during installations, manuals that make no sense to a talking parrot and many more…
Then @SynoMan needs to upgrade storage or purchase new one, because it will be another one bite-eater :cool:
And of course Qnap
This forum is my psychology cleaner, better than an Ayurveda

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.