Currently reading
synology ds218

NAS
ds218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
hi i was woundering if i could have some advice about this drive , it has got 2 x 4tb drives installed which are on raid 1 that now shows both are 3.6 tb
now when i am finished copying files eg new movies it shows 2.83 tb now when i create another folder eg movie collection it shows 2.83tb but there is nothing on it , so unsure why its showing the drive is used when its empty
any ideas thanks

hi many thanks for your reply , totally unsure if this is right
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (4).png

Upvote 0
:) more or less, the Shared Folders aren't fully displayed (click the right hand 'v' buttons to show the details). I forgot to say welcome to the forum, welcome!

From the second screen shot we can confirm that your two hard drives are configured in RAID 1 (that's mirrored RAID). That gives about 3.6 TB of raw storage. But we have to remember that there is a DSM partition on every drive which takes a little bit of space, but also means that the basic DSM will still run if a NAS loses all but one hard drive.

So we now see that Storage Pool 1 has been configured with one volume, Volume 1, that's the usable storage space that you can use for your Shared Folders and installing extra packages. Volume 1 can be seen to have a maximum available space of 3.5 TB, and you have used 665.2 GB of that with you upload of movies (and may be some other things) ... that's why you see that you have 2.83 TB of available storage left for adding more stuff.

Your first point was if you have installed 4 TB drives why do you only see 3.6 TB for each hard drive. This is due to marketing and then spineless committees relenting on what 1 KB, 1 MB, 1 GB, 1 TB, etc. means. Marketing people are cynical and gold plate things, so they see 1000 B = 1 KB, 1000 KB = 1 MB, 1000 MB = 1 GB, and 1000 GB = 1 TB. Whereas a computer working in base2 sees 1024 B = 1 KB, 1024 KB = 1 MB, 1024 MB = 1 GB, and 1024 GB = 1 TB. Unfortunately the standard bodies have relented and the official meanings are now using base10 (i.e. 1000 B = 1 KB) but no-one told computers. The result is forums spend a lot of time explaining this, and marketing types dupe buyers and get big cars.

So now your 4 'marketing base10' TB HD has 4,000,000,000,000 B of storage but the NAS is dividing this by 1024 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 to make 3.638 'base2' TB.

Upvote 0
many thanks for your reply , i am rather confused i will try and explain i have got 2 synology nas drives the ds218 is a newer one to my other drive with the ds218 i have put in 2 x 4tb drives after doing storage and pool for raid 1 it left me with over 3tb to put my movies on so i made up a folder called it new movies put them on and i was left with 2.83 tb . now i made up another folder called collection movies all though nothing in this folder it says i have only got 2.83 tb left . i have attached a picture on my other drive which is roccostinky they have got the same amount across all drives . with the drives called stinky there is nothing on collection movies . i would have thought stinky collection drive should be 0 ?
i have just noticed that as i have got 2 x 4tb drives inside ds218 why only 3tb left i thought it would have been 8tb in total
then take away what raid and storage pool size etc to leave at least 7tb
Screenshot (6).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    186.7 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0
So you are saying the available storage is what is being shown in Windows Explorer.

Each share in Window Explorer is showing the available free storage that it can grown to (i.e. the free space of Volume 1), not that every share can grow using all that free storage space. The Shared Folders are part of Volume 1 and I guess you didn't or couldn't assign size quotas to the Shared Folders: only Btrfs file system type supports assigning quotas to shared folders. In Control Panel you can see the space used by each shared folder.

If you have two Synology DS NAS and both are being reported in Windows as having the same free space... are you sure you are connecting to both NAS?

BTW your shift key doesn't seem to be working.

Upvote 0
hi thanks for your reply yes i am looking through windows explorer to see what space is left on the drive , i have not done this on any of the nas drives eg assigning quotas to shared folders ? i am connecting to both nas through synology assistant .
it sounds like i have sent the drives up wrong ? can you recommend some videos for me to look at on setting up a nas from start to finish ?

shift key ?

Upvote 0
New NAS?
1660571211891.png

These two shares look to be reporting the 2.83 TB that is still available for use of Volume 1.

Old NAS?
1660571233315.png

These three shares also look to be reporting the 385 GB that is still available from the volume that they are all part of.

Edit...

I don't have any videos, but there is a lot of online help from Synology.

The shift key is the one that enables you to type Capital letters at the start of sentences.

Upvote 0
Thankyou for your reply the other nas is a ds214 and it seems its working fine but with the ds218 i dont understand where the space has gone from 8tb as windows says only 2.83 tb left .
i have looked at videos on youtube about setting up a nas but the ones i was looking at didnt say anything about quotas
thanks

Upvote 0
You have two 4 TB drives in the DS218 and they are configured in RAID 1. So that raw storage of 8 TB is now 4 TB with resilience in case one drive fails. How that 4 TB is now being reported as 2.83 TB, well I addressed that above as the difference between base10 TB vs base2 TB and you already having uploaded 665 GB (base2) of data.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.