NAS
DS118
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all:

I recently got a Synology DS218play NAS and 2 x10TB WD Gold drives. BIG MISTAKE! Everything works fine, of course, but the WD Gold drives are NOISY! Constant thumping/knocking noise amplified to unacceptable levels by the cabinet location of the NAS. I have 2 WD Red drives (older CMR, 5400RPM) in my WD MyCloud EX2 NAS and they are silent.

I'd forego the additional 2 year warranty of the Gold over the Red any day to get quiet operation.

Just FYI

Keith

I didn’t try many drive brands, but it seems that the reds are among the quietest I’ve encountered.
The bad thing about such noise is that you become fixated on it, to the point where your brain kind of anticipates the next knock or thump. Of course, not everyone is like that but if you’re cursed with such “ability”, it’ll drive you mad.

Try to relocate the DS to another place if possible.

It's a gift (and a curse!)

Yes, I'm relocating it to my primary home as backup storage there (in a closet where, hopefully, it will be "silent"). Taking the WD NAS with Reds to my offsite backup location where the quiet will be greatly appreciated!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.