Synology DS3018XS or RackStation RS3617RPxs

Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Hi,

Since 5 year I have had QNAP nas at home, before that Synology.

I now have the possibility to buy a one of two used NAS, but need some advise what is best buy. I will mainly use this for storage and remote access.

Synology DS3018XS
48 TB disk
16GB RAM
2 x 500mb PCI Cache
2000$

RackStation RS3617RPxs
2TB disk (Yes only one disk)
8GB RAM
1500$

Whats the best buy?

Many tnx in advice
DoZ

Those are 2 very different devices. Spec vise as well as form factor.

Personally I would take 3617, but that's just me. More HW and more power as well as more options than the DS unit. Guess it will depend what your end game is.

Those are 2 very different devices. Spec vise as well as form factor.

Personally I would take 3617, but that's just me. More HW and more power as well as more options than the DS unit. Guess it will depend what your end game is.

Tnx,

Very good points. Appreciate that.

Yes I understand it's two diffrent devices but somehow both are in my opinon same.
- Both are more than I need
- Diffrent form factor, for me that not an issue.
- One have more power the other one more disk
- Both more to Enterprise than privat use
- Like two different Apples

So I need advice why I should choose one or the other.
The spec "thing" is a good point.

/DoZ

RS is loud and powerful, which means larger power usage. DS will be quiet most of the time.
I have a RS3618xs, same Xeon as the RS3617rpxs, its a monster, its in a rack in my garage on normal speed fans its quite loud, at full speed I cant hear anything else going on!!:ROFLMAO:

OK, have to add some earprotection to that price then. And my rack is 10cm from my desk, think I have to take that in consideration. :D

Yes agreed, I should have answered the question!!
For your use you mention and the fact you are getting 48TB worth of disks, id go with the DS, you can end up spending thousands adding disks to the RS unit.
edit: if you are 10cm away, then no to the RS, its just too damn loud.

Yes agreed, I should have answered the question!!
For your use you mention and the fact you are getting 48TB worth of disks, id go with the DS, you can end up spending thousands adding disks to the RS unit.
edit: if you are 10cm away, then no to the RS, its just too damn loud.

True, If I can't hear what I think, than all spec in the world not worth it.
Hmm, Maybe have to move my gear to the garage too. :)

Here comes an update, the reality did catch me an I did buy something little cheaper.

After some investigation, I did understand that the main thing for me was to get into the Synology community, that more then have a badass to NAS.

So I have bought a used RS2414+ with 7disk and a total of 24TB for 450$. I thought this would be updated for some more years and there is more space for HDD.

YES, it's not the quietest NAS, but I like it. My DELL Powerconnect 6224 switches sounds more :)

Thanks for all Input and advice, really appreciate that.

All the best
/Chris

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.