NAS Compares Synology DS418play NAS Vs QNAP TS-351 NAS Comparison

Currently reading
NAS Compares Synology DS418play NAS Vs QNAP TS-351 NAS Comparison

Synology DS418play vs QNAP TS-351

In the first half of 2019, we are seeing a rather interesting release trend from the big NAS brands, Synology and QNAP. Generally, each year, the two brands release their biggest desktop solutions are roughly the same time (Q3/Q4 of the year) and then NAS buyers are left choosing between these two brands for which device best fits their needs. However, we are seeing a rather off change in the 2018/2019 release structure with the previous generation of Synology NAS devices of 2017/2018 being their current range and QNAP releasing a bunch of their newer units at the start of the year. The result is that many buyers are comparing newer QNAP NAS with older Synology. Today I want to look at two units you guys have been comparing frequently, both RAID 5 enabled and both with a dual-core J3355 Intel CPU that can support lots and lots of functions from 4K transcoding and Plex, all the way to smarter backups, cloud migration, surveillance and more. But, just like many Synology VS QNAP comparisons, it isn’t as straight forward as A or B, and the Synology DS418play Media 4 Bay is being compared with the Media and Business 3-Bay TS-351 QNAP NAS. The Synology PLAY series has been around for a while and is well established and the DS418play is the latest and greatest addition, release back in Winter 2017. Whereas the QNAP TS-351 is a new and unique kind of 3-Bay RAID 5 NAS that also features HDMI, dual LAN and 3 internal SSD bays to compliment the 3 Hard drive bays for raw fast storage or caching. This means the QNAP is trying to cover more than home media and for those of a slightly more technical mind, give you more bang for your buck. Let’s see which one is best for you and your data.

Continue reading...
- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

Two comments .... first this re:418play
nzPICH8.png

I have 8GB installed (2x4GB).

Then this...
iipmiIy.png

The inference here is that if you are simple-minded, and want a preconfigured "out of the box" experience that leaves little ability for adaptability/customization... go with Synology. Well... none of those bullet points describe me and yet I'm in the Synology camp. Go figure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.