NAS Compares Synology DS420+ NAS PLEX DRIVER FIX - H.256 /HEVC 8/10bit Playback

Currently reading
NAS Compares Synology DS420+ NAS PLEX DRIVER FIX - H.256 /HEVC 8/10bit Playback

NAS Compares Video

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

Last edited:
Here's an easier method to force the i965 driver, that doesn't require you mucking with Plex shared folder permissions or direct XML editing... and... it withstands Plex updates.
Hardware Transcoding broken when burning subtitles ApolloLake-based Synology NASes

To return to default, you must edit "Preferences.xml", and remove the
Code:
VaapiDriver="i965"
entry at the end of the XML file.

Notably, the iHD driver has been patched on most Synology units, so you might not see a difference... and if you are streaming/transcoding 4k, the patched iHD driver will outperform the i965 driver (the video does not address this detail).

To return to default, you must edit "Preferences.xml", and remove the

VaapiDriver="i965"​

entry at the end of the XML file.
I found the long form of the NAS Compares instructions and there is a serious typo that will cause a lot of grief if you don't have a backup of the Plex Media Server library folder.

In step 12 the text to insert is given as: VaapiDriver=”i965″ />

Note both double quotes, they are not compliant with the file's text format and when saved will result in most of the Preferences.xml being lost. The normal double quote character should be used "". Hyper Backup is your friend here.

I was having pixelation when transcoding 1080p MKV on the DS1520+ so took the plunge on this as a test. Using a text editor via SFTP, though I see that Text Editor in DSM does provide an alert (in subsequent investigation): if you get an alert when saving please stop and check the double quotes. Oh and you can't just rollback Preferences.xml it took a restore of the full folder.

For me I can confirm that this 'fix', when properly done, does correct pixelation also on MKV/H.264. Plus I found playback on DS video to be problematic without the 'fix'.*

*'fix' / fix ? whatever.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.