NAS Compares Synology DS923+ vs DS423+ vs DS920+ NAS Comparison

Currently reading
NAS Compares Synology DS923+ vs DS423+ vs DS920+ NAS Comparison

Welcome to NASCompares YouTube channel!

Check out our next video below.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-iiMzBF-EM

NAS Compares Video

- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

which is the best one for plex server
920 or 423, are plex transcode capable. 923 will also run plex but if you have the need for transcoding, best to stick to Intel-driven models. 920/423 in this case.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply I currently use my Mac mini pro for Plex Server then the client app on my Sony a8 tv.
So the ds423+ is the best one
-- post merged: --

All my content will be local just on my tv if that makes any difference to which one ?.

All my content will be local just on my tv if that makes any difference to which one
Well if you will not have the need to transcode at any point, then 923 would be the best device moving forward but that all depends if you will have potential needs for 10G and a faster and stronger NAS overall.

As long as files play I’m not bothered which nas but future proof is better

If the 923+ be ok for me I’ll go get that one?.

As long as files play I’m not bothered which nas but future proof is better

If the 923+ be ok for me I’ll go get that one?.
I would recommend it over 423 if you are looking for power. In terms of media streaming it will do fine with Plex. More details on that: Synology DS923+ review

I noticed that often, while in the same question regarding transcoding, the word "hardware" is omitted.
Software transcoding is the same exact for the three models, so no discussion about that.
Hardware transcoding is a different issue and for me is really a matter of what are the exact needs from the user. And of course you have to pay for the Plex pass if you need to used it.
Most modern devices can handle easily latest formats so hardware transcoding is involved only if the client device cannot handle the format required.
In my case, I share my Plex library with some relatives and friends feom my DS923+ and no hardware transcoding is ever involved because all clients (TVs, tv boxes, tablet etc) can direct play my 4K movies without issues.

So, I believe the correct question should be if the user needs hardware transcoding or not. And one should be really careful if he would reject a recent NAS only for this reason.

So I don’t need hardware encoding?. I do have the plex pass already.
It’s sound like the ds923+ is the one to buy for me not the ds423+

It is entirelly up to you.
What devices run your Plex clients? What video formats do you have in your library? Can your clients support it?
In my case, in my house there are two 4K capable TVs, one adroid tv box, a couple of cell phones and tablets, all supporting 4K movies natively so no hardware transcoding needed. The same for all other devices I serve via internet, all modern TVs, so no need either.
DS923+ had no issues up to now. Just for testing purposes, once I tested three different 4K movies direct playing simultaneously in three different devices in my local network plus one 4K movie via internet, all playing OK.

Last edited:
I’m using the plex app on the Sony android ( google ) it’s played 4K Dolby Vision and hdr clips in h264 and sometimes h265 my server atm is a Mac mini pro for plex via a wdmyclod ten year old nas that’s no longer supported I don’t watch plex on anything else tbh.

It is entirelly up to you.
What devices run your Plex clients? What video formats do you have in your library? Can your clients support it?
In my case, in my house there are two 4K capable TVs, one adroid tv box, a couple of cell phones and tablets, all supporting 4K movies natively so no hardware transcoding needed. The same for all other devices I serve via internet, all modern TVs, so no need either.
DS923+ had no issues up to now. Just for testing purposes, once I tested three different 4K movies direct playing simultaneously in three different devices in my local network plus one 4K movie via internet, all playing OK.
Are you happy with your nas

I’m using the plex app on the Sony android ( google ) it’s played 4K Dolby Vision and hdr clips in h264 and sometimes h265 my server atm is a Mac mini pro for plex via a wdmyclod ten year old nas that’s no longer supported I don’t watch plex on anything else tbh.

Are you happy with your nas

Of course I am.
Upgraded from a DS220+, have no regrets choosing it. I was too concerned about transcoding reading a lot of posts and articles here and there, but I just made a little research on this and quickly cleared my opinion in this issue.
To be honest, I find most relative videos misleading. I don't believe there is ever any possibility to watch a movie from the web interface of the Plex server!

Did you upgrade the ram
Yes, with a 16gb Kingston KSM26SED8/16HD module. I got the "non-compatible" alert but test passed without issues and system is working fine. About two months uptime at the moment.
I used a known script ro disable incompatible module warning.

If I’m right in thinking my files play directly to the tv then the 923+ is the one if however I do need transcoding I’d go for the 423+ my question is how do I find outs?.
I only watch in two TVs locally.

If I’m right in thinking my files play directly to the tv then the 923+ is the one if however I do need transcoding I’d go for the 423+ my question is how do I find outs?.
I only watch in two TVs locally.
I can think of two ways :
1) while playing a movie, open the dashboard in the plex server web interface and you will see the information of the movie being played. You will see Direct Play or else transcoding info
2) on your plex client while playing a movie, check the video quality options. You will see if being played in original format or something else

Ok I will try that. The odd occasion I’d get the playback error the internet speeds are too slow that on the 4K h265 but not all of them though.

How do you get Plex Server to run on the nas I’ve installed it but it’s saying unauthorised on the web page I don’t have access

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.