NAS Compares Synology DSM vs QNAP QTS - Control, GUI, Access, Apps and Customization

Currently reading
NAS Compares Synology DSM vs QNAP QTS - Control, GUI, Access, Apps and Customization

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

So it would seem.

I'm a Mac/iOS user and use Synology. But I think QNAP had too many similar variants when I was looking to upgrade from a really basic NAS so I opted for j-series Synology. Plus I was already running Mac OS X Server on a Mac Mini and maintaining it via command line, so I'm not typical 'Apple' in post iMac era.

Last edited:
Until recently I was a Linux/Windows/Mac user. Now the Macbook has gone because of limited usage.

I was a Qnap user a few years ago, but I left Qnap because of the limited support for Linux.

After that I discovered Synology, way better operating system and support for my Ubuntu and Fedora PC installations
(I can remember NoteStation, Cloudstation and other apps for linux).
The big plus of Synology is also the BTRFS with snapshot ability among other advantages.
There is no way of going back to Qnap for me.

Unfortunately, Synology's support for linux is diminishing recently.
Packages I need are no longer existing.

I have an old PC and playing with FreeNAS. As things are going, I may soon say goodbye to Synology, for the same reason I said goodbye to Qnap a few years ago.

Prior to Mac’s upswing from iPod and iPhone it used to be a grime time for peripheral support and other. While Windows got free software you had to hope that some third party developer had created an alternative. And you’d be lucky when it was under $40.

yes it's true. I was a long time Mac user.
It always was the same.
I remember when I had an Acorn Electron instead of a Sinclair Spectrum ZX. Better harrdware, better Basic, better capabilities but far smaller user base.

But Synology has to support it's product. Synology NAS is supposed to be a turn key solution.
If I have to use Docker or rsync, to just backup my linux PC, then alternative solutions from FreeNAS or OMV are becoming attractive.

If I have to use Docker or rsync, to just backup my linux PC
Active Backup for Business package does offer Windows (and in the near future Linux/Mac) backup for your local machines. Linux clients are in closed beta atm and mac is on the roadmap but not sure it will be within a year or so.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.