NAS
TVS-671-i5
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
I do not own any Synology products at this time. I do have my eye on the DS920+. I currently have a TVS-671-i5. In 5 years, I've had ZERO issues with it. It has 6 4TB WD Red drives in RAID 10 (I'm not here to discuss RAID and I'm not changing it, I did my testing). I use the NAS for Plex, backups, file server and whatever I want to play with next (VMs mostly).

Am I happy with QNAP hardware? You bet!! 👍 Am I happy with QNAP? Not so much. 👎

I'm nearly out of space and I need a backup. So, I am upgrading my 6 4TB drives to 8TB and I'll use the 4TB (at least for now) for backup. I looked at a TR-004 (USB expansion, $199) but that really doesn't seem right. I thought I could get a 4-bay NAS for an extra $200-$300. My only real requirements are dual 1Gbe and an acceptable CPU. QNAP has a couple of really good choices (TS-451+ and TS-453be) . I decided to check Synology options. The DS420+ and DS920+ are good options. The DS920+ is better value for sure. It's an overkill for a backup NAS, but it might be a good way to get acquainted with Synology. It looks like it might be a good Plex server if need be.

Out of curiosity, I shopped for a replacement for my TVS-671 (this NAS rocks BTW) and come up with TVS-672N (Monster). I found NO Synology equivalent. Am I missing something? And what's the deal with the M.2 slots, are they cache only? What good is cache with a 1 or 2Gbe connection? VM? On a slow CPU and limited memory? I don't get it. On QNAP, I can load my apps on nvme ssds, create a raid 1/0 volume, use it as cache or tiered storage.

I tell myself they are two different schools of thought and that is fine. However, that leads me to Synology is WAY overpriced. Synology is missing out when it comes to users that want higher end equipment and flexibility. (Soldered memory chips?, really?) I looked for 5Gbe or 10Gbe and found an 8-bay with a chip suitable for a can opener (great file server for an office).

I might buy a Synology because I like to learn and they deserve a look. While I believe the DS420+ would do the trick,it seems like the DS920+ is a much better value. However, I'm on the fence. If Synology made (apparently they don't) an acceptable replacement for my current NAS, it would probably cost $3000 or more, so why bother at all with Synology? Synology can't even replace my 5 year old NAS, that's just sad.

If anyone has valuable feedback, it would be welcome. I really would like to ditch QNAP.

Hi,

I agree that a plus series is an overkill for backup. However, for you coming from such a fast NAS (as you describe it), a j series will be a death sentence :)

I have one and it’s really slow (I use it for backup). If you have the budget and you’re going to (try to) use it for more than backup then maybe a value series is a good starting point or the single bay 118 (I have it and I really like it). Just understand the limitations. VM, Docker, transcoding, etc…

You might try that until you decide to move over to this side. I believe you will :)

Recommend you stay on qnap. Horsepower is more important to you in the long run and with Syno you will lock yourself in an underpowered, more expensive device that will in the end be a disappointment. Maybe best to look past your qnap problems (software side) and go with it. If you wanna try Syno a used unit might be a bit less disappointing option.

Recommend you stay on qnap. Horsepower is more important to you in the long run and with Syno you will lock yourself in an underpowered, more expensive device that will in the end be a disappointment. Maybe best to look past your qnap problems (software side) and go with it. If you wanna try Syno a used unit might be a bit less disappointing option.

Thanks for the response. It is appreciated. Hopefully my current NAS (not sure why we still call them NAS) last another 5 years.

I may still purchase a DS920+ just for the knowledge gained. It will just be an overpowered NAS for backup (that I can play with). Rumor has it, Synology can run Ubiquiti (Docker) UNMS and if that's the case, I might not be disappointed. I'm a retired network engineer, so it's in the blood. Horsepower is addicting (and so is flexibility). I built a water cooled PC with a 5960x and duel 980TIs 4 or 5 years ago, so I might consider building my own NAS when the time comes.

I have heard good things about Synology DSM, it's a shame they don't add a new 'series'.

Again, thanks for the responses (Telos and WST16).

Probably too late to help you but... I'm in a very similar situation. I've had a QNAP TS-453A for the past 3-4 years. It was time to upgrade and the natural replacement was the TS-453D. Then, the latest firmware upgrade broke stuff. I got used to trying to figure out these issues but the solution was not at all intuitive. I think QNAP makes their changes without thinking about the downstream effects of some of those changes.

I watched some Youtube videos and decided that the Synology DS920+ was pretty much equivilent in specs and price. Like you, I wanted to experience Synology and learn something new. I was not disappointed. I find the Synology experience was far superior to QNAP. The common downfall is the lack of enough popup hints and suggestions when you are making some settings changes. Probably a lot more to cover here but I'm not sure that you will be back so I'll just say... buy the Synology; you won't be disappointed. I'm still learning so there is no end of things that I might be able to add 6 months from now; good and bad.

Probably too late to help you but... I'm in a very similar situation. I've had a QNAP TS-453A for the past 3-4 years. It was time to upgrade and the natural replacement was the TS-453D. Then, the latest firmware upgrade broke stuff. I got used to trying to figure out these issues but the solution was not at all intuitive. I think QNAP makes their changes without thinking about the downstream effects of some of those changes.

I watched some Youtube videos and decided that the Synology DS920+ was pretty much equivilent in specs and price. Like you, I wanted to experience Synology and learn something new. I was not disappointed. I find the Synology experience was far superior to QNAP. The common downfall is the lack of enough popup hints and suggestions when you are making some settings changes. Probably a lot more to cover here but I'm not sure that you will be back so I'll just say... buy the Synology; you won't be disappointed. I'm still learning so there is no end of things that I might be able to add 6 months from now; good and bad.
David,

Thank you for your input. I haven't purchased a second NAS as of yet. I did purchase a couple of M.2 SSDs for my TV-671 to keep me in business. I'll be purchasing either the DS920+ or the TS-453D shortly and all input is valuable.

no doubt QNAP or Synology = same + or -
from my side:
- when you have more than basic user experiences with QTS, then stay in QNAP environment. With DS920+ you will get same HW and same features in different environment.
- when you are just GUI based user, but still in intermediate level, stay in QNAP
- when you are just occasional GUI user with few core services in operation you have stay in QNAP, because the new environment will kill you.

When you are new horizons discoverer- take the chance to step in Synology.
You will get new challenges.

QNAP NAS vs Syno NAS... my "experience"

QNAP: better hardware, more powerful CPUs, abysmal software and security
Synology: sufficient hardware, low to average powered CPUs, better (though not world-class) software, better software integration, improving security.

Last edited:
btw, for the 2.5G you need switch, what have this feature, otherwise you will purchase 2.5Gbps NIC in your NAS, that will run just max. 1Gbps
-- post merged: --

the “better HW” is unclear statement:
it’s like - Italian coffee is better. For whom? And did you mean Ristretto or Lungo? Or Espresso or Dripp coffee.
Everyone has own expectation or requirements, then choices.
An existence of i7 in the NAS isn’t purchase driver for professionals, its one of the feature. Then what kind of i7? In comparison with Server line CPUs it isn’t a gap, if any.

QNAP NAS vs Syno NAS... my "experience"

QNAP: better hardware, more powerful CPUs, abysmal software and security
Synology: sufficient hardware, low to average powered CPUs, better (though not world-class) software, better software integration, improving security.
Security is my big issue. I have ZERO trust in QNAP.

Last edited:
btw, for the 2.5G you need switch, what have this feature, otherwise you will purchase 2.5Gbps NIC in your NAS, that will run just max. 1Gbps

the “better HW” is unclear statement:
it’s like - Italian coffee is better. For whom? And did you mean Ristretto or Lungo? Or Espresso or Dripp coffee.
Everyone has own expectation or requirements, then choices.
An existence of i7 in the NAS isn’t purchase driver for professionals, its one of the feature. Then what kind of i7? In comparison with Server line CPUs it isn’t a gap, if any.
The 2.5G means nothing to me at this point. 2x1G LAG/LACP is fine.

I agree with you about the hardware. The i5 I have now is an overkill. However, I buy a lot of equipment based on value. Example, the DS420+ satisfies my minimum requirements, but $50 gets me the DS920+. It's a no brainer and why ended up with an i5 in my TVS-671.

what kind of security? Just curious.
Syno DSM operated by most of users driven by “need just one button” has always poor security.
I'm not going to go into great detail about my QNAP story, but here is what I'll share. My QNAP was once a syslog server for my home network. I had it connected to my NEXUS SMS and email account. I had a 'MyCloud' account. I received e-mails or text messages as I had configured. QNAP decided to break the SMS API with an update. I opened a ticket. I now have several IP addresses blocked. I've deleted my NEXUS SMS account and removed email access. I've deleted my QNAP account and I remove the help desk app after every update (QNAP keeps installing it). My NAS is basically isolated. I was fortunate enough to not get infected or hacked. I run ZERO QNAP multimedia apps. I don't trust QNAP. QNAP is crap. If Synology security is no better than QNAP, then I might as well get another QNAP.

Re. Security being poor. The out of the box level of security will be 1. a known default setup, and 2. sufficient to allow novice users to use their purchase.

At least now DSM forces the creation of a new administrator account during initial setup and also deactivates external login to the known ‘admin’ account.

There are a number of other things that can tighten security, running Security Advisor will give a helpful report on what should be done. Plus when DSM and packages are subject to a vulnerability there are announcements/emails from Synology on affected versions and mitigations (usually to update or a patch).

I’ve not used QNAP so cannot say how Synology’s approach compares.

Last edited:
Re QNAP/notifications or integration to another solution:
Well, There are some way how to solve it, one of them is run your own Nexus server in your NAS by Docker container.
Syno has also their own useful CMS package to control all defined NAS.

Also Synology has their own “error” in thinking if they will support low level NAS owners only. And quality of the official first line support is really bad (in EU).
but you can find here many useful ideas.

Must say, my NAS multisite farm is running as well supported single engine more than 10y.
But it needs your attention as everything in this world. Nothing is for free.

QNAP has probably fixed the issues with Nexus. But I had already decided to isolate my NAS from the world and QNAP. Let me be clear. I don't trust QNAP or the people that work for them. I guess nothing can change that at this point.

Thanks to everyone that responded. I had put this issue on the back burner until the first of the year. I'm anxious to learn Synology.

Minimum requirements: 12TB, Plex capable and some redundancy

$900 buys a DS220+ with 2 12TB (12TB RAID 1)
$1000 buys a DS920+ and 3 6TB (12TB in SHR1)

It's no brainer, I'm getting a DS920+. If I upgrade the memory on the DS920+, I can play all day. That said, I'll probably add 8TB drives.

As a small aside, one thing that potential buyers need to consider ( and it appears that you did ) is to calculate the cost per usable Tb. I spent a bit of time using Synology's Raid Calculator to try different numbers of drives and sizes and estimating what the size of my next HDD added might be. A very useful exercise.

As a small aside, one thing that potential buyers need to consider ( and it appears that you did ) is to calculate the cost per usable Tb. I spent a bit of time using Synology's Raid Calculator to try different numbers of drives and sizes and estimating what the size of my next HDD added might be. A very useful exercise.
Yes, that's a handy dandy little tool right there. It helped reinforce what I thought I knew about SHR.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.