Synology has become the Apple of NAS with lame hardware and nicer software.

Currently reading
Synology has become the Apple of NAS with lame hardware and nicer software.

Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View: https://x.com/storagereview/status/1711920356184011031?s=61&t=C95UHEmT0ixkuVxT6bGA6g

That new QNAS has 12 u.2/u.3 drives that are orders of magnitude faster than ancient SATA drives. It comes with dual 25gbps network ports. Can take 1tb of ram.

If QNAP or any other NAS maker offered an easily expanding storage pool technology like SHR or Drobos expanding raid technology I would drop Synology in a heart beat.

I get that synology hardware doesn’t have to be on the bleeding edge, but they are now literally orders of magnitude slower technology. With that qnap I could transfer 15tb of data in hours, something that would take days on a synology. At some point the niceness of synology software won’t be able to make up with how woefully behind its hardware is.

I don`t get how both ends of the market are so gloriously incompetent in kind of opposing ways. At the high end you would think by now qnap and others would better implement a software SHR like solution, and that synology would be embarrassed enough to release more competitive hardware.

There seems to be this no-man’s-land in the market that no one is servicing. It’s strange.

Synology is off tracks, it comes from reasonably enthusiast NAS market to niche fanboy market, enthusiast now looking at QNap even DIY, and fanboys on cloud services, only hardcore paranoid fanboys and former Synology users with deep pockets are those still purchasing Synology.

Last edited:

This is 5300 with way worse tech.
-- post merged: --

Synology is off tracks, it comes from reasonably enthusiast NAS market to niche fanboy market, enthusiast now looking at QNap even DIY, and fanboys on cloud services, only hardcore paranoid fanboys and former Synology users with deep pockets are those still purchasing Synology.

I disagree. QNAP and DIY software is poop. That you basically need to build an entire new server to expand your raid with those solutions is borderline deranged. None of those solutions have anything like SHR or drobo’s expanding raid tech. Fixed raid solutions are so backwards, it’s like using DOS instead of Linux today. If it works for you, that’s great, but it’s a lame state of software, imo. Obviously YMMV.

Last edited:

This is 5300 with way worse tech.

I disagree. QNAP and DIY software is poop. That you basically need to build an entire new server to expand your raid with those solutions is borderline deranged. None of those solutions have anything like SHR or drobo’s expanding raid tech. Fixed raid solutions are so backwards, it’s like using DOS instead of Linux today. If it works for you, that’s great, but it’s a lame state of software, imo. Obviously YMMV.
Ehh? Nothing you wrote is factually truth.

QNap, TrueNas Scale offers ZFS Raid with bitrot protection and optional deduplication, you can rebuild/expand a raid volume on ZFS with integrated tools. Please Educate yourself.

BTW same situation for Synology XS/FS systems which don't have SHR, neither ZFS and bitrot protection.

View: https://youtu.be/11bWnvCwTOU?si=Xz8v7smAPO2yLOa3

There are video tutorials for QNap too, now showme a single reference on Synology shr btrfs bitrot protection.

Ehh? Nothing you wrote is factually truth.

QNap, TrueNas Scale offers ZFS Raid with bitrot protection and optional deduplication, you can rebuild/expand a raid volume on ZFS with integrated tools. Please Educate yourself.

BTW same situation for Synology XS/FS systems which don't have SHR, neither ZFS and bitrot protection.

View: https://youtu.be/11bWnvCwTOU?si=Xz8v7smAPO2yLOa3

There are video tutorials for QNap too, now showme a single reference on Synology shr btrfs bitrot protection.

Yea the guy tells you to ”get back to reality” at 1:20 marker. “Can it be done” vs is there an easy consumer UI level mechanism to do it are 2 different things. Can you use an electron microscope to rebuild a drive into other format, sure. It’s a useless response to “can I recover this dead drive” and misses the point.

Bitrot protection is great, and no doubt many other things are great about other products. But their ability to provide SHR features for mere mortals sucks. I’d love to be proven wrong on that, and would switch basically immediately it some other product offered anything near the ease of shr.

Yea the guy tells you to ”get back to reality” at 1:20 marker. “Can it be done” vs is there an easy consumer UI level mechanism to do it are 2 different things. Can you use an electron microscope to rebuild a drive into other format, sure. It’s a useless response to “can I recover this dead drive” and misses the point.

Bitrot protection is great, and no doubt many other things are great about other products. But their ability to provide SHR features for mere mortals sucks. I’d love to be proven wrong on that, and would switch basically immediately it some other product offered anything near the ease of shr.
That's why I wrote Synology's niche is among lame lazy fanboys which fears using cloud services instead a NAS.

Storage pool expansion is quite uncommon among enthusiast unless they assembly a system with recycled parts and build on donated HDD.

Synology has friendly storage manager, I won't discuss that (ok It becomes un-friendly once you plug uncertified hardware -aka not blessed drives-), nothing enthusiast actually need to live.

That's why I wrote Synology's niche is among lame lazy fanboys which fears using cloud services instead a NAS.

Storage pool expansion is quite uncommon among enthusiast unless they assembly a system with recycled parts and build on donated HDD.

Synology has friendly storage manager, I won't discuss that (ok It becomes un-friendly once you plug uncertified hardware -aka not blessed drives-), nothing enthusiast actually need to live.

Yea we can agree to disagree.

Everyone has a different perspective - I'm 30 years into IT for a career, and at an age where I prefer an out of the box solution that meets my needs for what I use it for. Synology is fairly low maintenance, stable, fairly easy to configure, and (for me) easy to use with minimal time investment weekly.

Everyone has a different perspective - I'm 30 years into IT for a career, and at an age where I prefer an out of the box solution that meets my needs for what I use it for. Synology is fairly low maintenance, stable, fairly easy to configure, and (for me) easy to use with minimal time investment weekly.
I followed this approach until Synology begun it's certification lockdown policies, which either requires you to concede freedom buying only Synology supplied parts or enabling 3rd party HDD (often much better quality) by running a sort of hack script which is contrary to the minimal management approach.

With regard to bitrot, this seemingly intense testing of synology shows it may have some natural resistance to it. Was a super interesting read for me.

Looks like terramaster has an shr style raid, teraraid. Sadly, their hardware doesn’t seem much better than synology. But it’s another interesting option.

Last edited:
I like your statement, "Everyone has a different perspective." We have different needs and enthusiasms, so unless we go for an insane, ill-informed option our choices and comments are cool.

I speak as someone who got into Synology NAS (DS920+), because I wanted ease of management so that I could run and expand, over time, a free Plex media server for friends and family. The majority of tech and user reviews made my choice obvious. Initially, I did baulk at the prospect of running a system that relied on Celeron processors! I had seen so many schools tricked into buying dozens of laptops and PCs with Celeron processors only to find that they booted and ran so slowly that by the time an IT teacher got the whole class up and running and troubleshooted, the lesson was over! However, an NAS is not a PC. The NAS processors are for limited dedicated functions. Consequently, my system runs sweetly most of the time. I have seen it serve 14 clients simultaneously without batting an eyelid. (I have a symmetrical 1Gb BB connection) With the easy user interface all I have to do 99% of the time is spend 30 minutes a day managing media additions and occasionally managing clients through easy to integrate Tautilli.

My only reservation, which confirms reservations expressed in the OP, is that processes such as expansion, drive replacement and storage pool repair take a ridiculous length of time. In another thread I described how the pool repair process after adding an extra 12TB HDD took 103 hours using Fast Repair! But that is fine. It will be a long time before I need to add more capacity and, now I am forewarned, I can prepare my psyche and patience circuit in readiness. :ROFLMAO: For day-to-day operations, I am a satisfied customer.

I'm a 1 year noob, but why 12 tb. when I got my 920 I threw in 4 16tb drives and have been solid every since. I keep Another 2 in the closet if one bites the dust.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.