Synology HAT5300 16TB DiskStation Compatibility

Currently reading
Synology HAT5300 16TB DiskStation Compatibility

…But, I nonetheless find it surprisingly odd that Synology would not designate its own 16TB hard drive as being compatible with (almost all) of its own DiskStation units – especially since “the same” 16TB drive (Toshiba MG08ACA16TE) is already specified as being compatible with many DiskStation models.

Upvote 0
Allow them time. They need to test them with each unit prior to adding them to the compatibility list, so I would expect them to start with the newest models, followed, by the largest bay count units.

Also... while I don't know their supply capacity, since the HATs are mandatory for the newest RS lines, I imagine they want to ensure their availability. But who can know the mind of Synology, or who has been their counselor?

Upvote 0
…But, I nonetheless find it surprisingly odd that Synology would not designate its own 16TB hard drive as being compatible with (almost all) of its own DiskStation units – especially since “the same” 16TB drive (Toshiba MG08ACA16TE) is already specified as being compatible with many DiskStation models.
Register for a 1h webinar on the 25th on the topic of "Achieving fast, cost-effective storage with Synology's HDD range"
With all the features and packages offered by a Synology NAS, it's easy to forget about the fundamentals. In this webinar, we'll look at the best practices for choosing hard drives, when to use SAS drives as well as how to optimise the cost/performance of a solution. We'll also be diving into upcoming changes to our Storage Manager in DSM 7 and the latest offerings in our Synology HDD range which brings all-in-one enterprise storage to the NAS world!

Synology Events
Date: 2021-03-25
Time: 10:30:00
( GMT )

So you can use the Q&A panel to ask your question directly to the support team on the topic of these drives and their HW compatibility

Upvote 0
I'am using synology DS1817+ nas server.Today I bought 16 TB synology HAT5300 HDD.It is not compatible synology 1817+.Because when I check the drive manager, I saw "device firmware 1401 unkown" message.And HDD transfer speed 130Mb/sn .ıt is dissapointed situtaion for me.

Upvote 0
Second disapointing, hdd speed is terrible, exos 16 to hat 5300 140 MB/sn average

Dear Customer,

Thanks for contacting Synology Technical Support.
Sorry to hear that you have issues with your NAS. I will do my best to help you resolve this problem.
Due to the limited test resource, the old series models will be tested later. Your Synology NAS belongs to older series, so the test order is sorted later. Using unverified/Incompatible drives may affect system reliability and stability, Synology is not able to make sure the data retrieved from the HDD/SSD is correct. Therefore, we recommend referring to the compatibility list for choosing the compatible drive to ensure data integrity.
Compatibility List | Synology Incorporated

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have further questions

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.