Synology NAS - OPENVPN with Certificates

Currently reading
Synology NAS - OPENVPN with Certificates

I have a Synology NAS 218+ on our premises . I have just installed the latest of the DSM 6.2.4 25556 and the VPN application and configured the Openvpn application.
The systems is working fine but i would like to know whether that Openvpn application from Synology is as safe and secured.

Question :-
I have seen that in the openvpn client configuration file which is exported, there is a CA signature .

If i am correct, the present configuration is only secured by a User name and Password

Is there a way to install a Digital a Digital Certificate for each user/client

Most welcome to have your views on this issue. Thanks

I just updated my OpenVpn Connect app for windows 10 (version 3.3.1). I am able to import the openvpn profile from synology, but when I connect it says Missing External Certificate. I can click continue to which then ignores this message and it connects without issue.

The question here: By doing the above, is this a security risk? I know part of Synology's OpenVPN export there are 2 security certificate files (ca & ca_bundle); am I supposed to do something with these too?

I did have a previous OpenVPN Connect and after the import there was a drop down to select "R3." Not sure how that was even populated before since all that was done was the OpenVPN config import, but it worked.

because both certs are part of the oVPN file (on the bottom). Considering that I'm not a win user can't comment on the Connect app.

right , so I would assume even though there is no certificate applied on the certificate option, it definitely is still using some sort of certificate which is built into the config?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.