Currently reading
Synology NAS photo backup from DSFile extremely slow

Router
  1. RT1900ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi, I recently changed my router from an Asus to Google WiFi.

Google WiFi -> Switch (TP-Link Litewave 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch) -> Synology

I had to introduce the switch as Google WiFi does not have many ports. After the change, all photo backup from iPhone using the DS File app to backup to Synology is extremely slow. I used to see the photos getting uploaded in a few seconds... Now it takes about 10 seconds for each photo.

Let me know if there is any network configuration that I have to do to get the speeds back up.

This is my main use case of the NAS and its kinda frustrating to see that this is not working as it used to... Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Welcome!

To start, the switch here is probably not the issue but just to be on the safe side, check in the Control Panel of DSM > Network what declared speed if being reported on the network interface that the NAS is using. Anything below 1GbE is and issue.

On the iPhone you could also use a simple speed test towards the Internet just to see if you can achieve a maximum speed (whatever that might be). There are also LAN testing apps for iOS to test the LAN (over wifi) speeds to any destination (like a NAS in this case).

If that is ok, then the focus should be on the new router and its wifi. Best to test its throughput with another device apart from the iPhone and to see if this scenario can be replicated. For example, using a PC or another mobile device and then repeat the test with File Station (or DS File). Ofc this can be done via a cable (Ethernet) or again with wifi just to see if there are any differences.

So in short, benchmark the current setup with more tests and more devices 1st and then start troubleshooting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.