Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi to all,
my first post on this Forum :)
I would like to migrate one HDD (8 TB) from a DS118 model to DS116 model.
Is there a specific procedure to do this harmlessly?
Someone among you has done this kind of migration already?

Thanks to all for reply.
Greetings from Italy.

Last edited:

Not sure why you Would want to upgrade to an older NAS model....
‘cause the new model DS118 (which I bought and returned back) do not support DACs audio playing on USB port. DS116 does perfectly. Besides, DS116 is a very good NAS... same amount of memory (1 GB) as DS118, fast enough to do download tasks and audio reproduction at the same time. Personally, I like it.
FYI Synology ended support for USB audio DACs with the x16 series. Following series (x18 and x20) do not play audio well, even though DACs are recognized by DSM.

p.s.: thanks for the link.

Greetings.

safer way for your case, if you have an external HDD with enough capacity,
is to make a backup with HyperBackup, data and apps included
and then restore from that

Hi kiriak and thanks for your contribution.
I must say that I ran the risk (I had backups) and mounted, in the DS116 model, the hard drive which was previously in DS118 model. Although Synology official guides did not contemplate the migration between DS118 back to an earlier model DS116, all went well. I was not notified of the migration message in the Synology assistant procedure. Obviously I had to reinstall DSM, re-create users and settings. My old shared folders were intact though with all the data in them.

Greetings from Italy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.