Currently reading
Synology Photo very noob question

Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Hi everyone, few months ago I've switched from my Qnap NAS to a brand new Synology DS1821+ (and I'm very happy with it).

I've moved all of my pictures simply creating a folder "Foto" (photos in Italian) in disk station app. Yesterday I've installed the Photos app and the app asked me to create a folder (/photos). When I launch the application it open a new tab in the web browser and the folder is empty. I've never moved the photos inside.

My questions are:
  1. How do I move the pictures in the best way from the /Foto folder to the Synology Photos app?
  2. Is that worth it? I mean using the app Photos
  3. Is there any tutorial on how to use it?
  4. I've read something about the duplication of the pictures. Is that a real thing

Thanks!
Francesco

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-14 alle 14.07.47.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-14 alle 14.07.47.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 39
From my point of view, yes, it worths it.
I use Photos for all my photos and home videos, I have created many albums to categorize them and I also automatically get backups from our mobile phones via Android Photo app.

You can simply move your Foto folder into the /photos folder. Then, when you open Photos you will find that folder in front of you and start creating albums!
You can do it very simply with File Station.
In my system, every photo folder is inside the home folder of each user. So, every user can have his own library. In your screenshot it is not clear what is the position of this folder. Just check that.
No, I never noticed any duplication. I have created a quite number of albums, but all photos remain at their position and no new files created.

From the screen shot I don't see any shared folders called home or homes. This would suggest that you haven't enabled User Homes feature, which creates a private home folder for each user's folders and files.

Since you haven't enable User Home, I think Synology Photos is probably only using the Shared Space album.

I am the only user of the nas, is that needed to enable the user homes feature?
Sometimes I give the link to my customers to download the pictures, that's all.

I also automatically get backups from our mobile phones via Android Photo app.

although we have iPhones, I’ve been wanting to get ourselves setup with using the backup feature in photos. There is only one thing stopping me and that is I wish there was an option when a photo was deleted out from the phone, it would delete out on the photos side too. Kind of rare case I guess but I am constantly cleaning out junk photos taken from the phone, it would have to be done in two places once I turn the backup on.

I guess I wish there was more of a sync option between the phone and photos. Backups are handled using snapshot replication or hyper backup.

How do you manage cleaning up photos on the phone and then if they were uploaded to the nas? Are you having to delete them out in two places?

although we have iPhones, I’ve been wanting to get ourselves setup with using the backup feature in photos. There is only one thing stopping me and that is I wish there was an option when a photo was deleted out from the phone, it would delete out on the photos side too. Kind of rare case I guess but I am constantly cleaning out junk photos taken from the phone, it would have to be done in two places once I turn the backup on.

I guess I wish there was more of a sync option between the phone and photos. Backups are handled using snapshot replication or hyper backup.

How do you manage cleaning up photos on the phone and then if they were uploaded to the nas? Are you having to delete them out in two places?

I also wish there was a sync option...
At the moment, I usually clean "bad" photos quite often, usually near after a photo shoot. I have my Photo app settings to backup when charging only (usually during night) so in the meantime I have already got rid of most of pictures that I don't want to keep. Of course I have missed some, but not a big deal for me as my main purpose is to backup and create albums later on Synology Photos...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.