Synology Photos and reducing indexing/thumbnails size (and backup sizes)

Currently reading
Synology Photos and reducing indexing/thumbnails size (and backup sizes)

NAS
DS416play ; DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 2 (software regularly updated, even if I forget to change my forum profile)
I recently upgraded my DS416play from DSM 6 to DSM 7, and one of the enforced changes is that it has installed Synology Photos.

This seems to have had the knock-on effect that my 'photo' shared location which contains approx 727GB of assorted photo related material (including camera RAWs, pre-edit and work files, etc) is now taking up 830GB. I'd rather like to have the stolen 100GB back, as that's a lot of wasted space - and also a lot of wasted space on my Hyper Backup external drive too. Can I simply exclude any @eaDir style index folders from the backup while still backing up everything else from the root folder down? (I can see how to exclude files by wildcard, but not whole folders by wildcard name)

I have turned Indexing off via the Control Panel for Photo, Music and Video, but the space is still being used - do I need to now search for any indexed/thumbnailed items and manually delete them?

I only very occasionally use Photo Station / Synology Photos anyway - just for a few odd occasions when I'm out and want to show someone a few pictures - so I'm perfectly happy to allow extra time for it to thumbnail any given folder in real time when I open it, rather than pre-indexing the whole drive in advance and wasting 100GB.

Andre

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.