Currently reading
Synology Photos custom folders?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have all my photos sorted in folders by name description and year, example "My House"/"Upstairs"/"Bathroom"/"Shower" which I find very easy to find files on DS Photo on my Android. Is it true that you cant use subfolders in Synology Photos? If true then Im not sure I want to upgrade to DMS 7.
Thanks

No, that is not true. That is stil working ok In shared space.
you can use subfolders, to browse them change the view on top right To map view.

you can not upload into a specific folder from mobile app ….

So all of my current folders will be intact when switching to dsm7 and synology photos? Just the same way DS Photo works?

Last edited:
The folder structure will remain, the issue I have, is you CANNOT search for those folders. Eg: you cannot put “shower” into the search field and find the Shower folder, which is the way I always did it in PhotoStation / DS Photos.

Makes it very difficult to find holidays or events that are in titled folders.
-- post merged: --

you can not upload into a specific folder from mobile app ….
that really sh*ts me, used to be able to go out, take some photos, then create a new folder straight from DS Photo and upload them into it.

edit: actually, I’ll have to take back that last comment, looks like you can now create a new folder from both iOS and Android apps and upload selected images.

So you wouldnt be able to see a folder called "Christmas 2010"?

I use DS File and DS Cloud to upload my pictures from my phone automatically then view them with ds photo.

You can see the folder no problems, you just can’t search for it.
So if you have 20 years worth of photos sorted into years/ months/ events etc, unless you actually know the photos you’re looking for is stored in 2016/ July/ Graduation, there is no way of searching for “graduation“.

I can confirm that the app (since app update of today) now allows upload into custom folders. That is pretty quick, as two weeks ago, the issue was confirmed to me as a missing, but required feature. Nice to see it in the app so quickly.
Than the search. That is correct as well, you can search for file names, not for folders they are in.

Im not worried about searching for them i
You can see the folder no problems, you just can’t search for it.
So if you have 20 years worth of photos sorted into years/ months/ events etc, unless you actually know the photos you’re looking for is stored in 2016/ July/ Graduation, there is no way of searching for “graduation“.
Im just concerned about seeing all the folders and manually navigating through subfolders.

I can confirm that the app (since app update of today) now allows upload into custom folders. That is pretty quick, as two weeks ago, the issue was confirmed to me as a missing, but required feature. Nice to see it in the app so quickly.
Than the search. That is correct as well, you can search for file names, not for folders they are in.
Im not sure I understand uploading from the phone to custom photos. I always use DS File and DS Cloud to upload/Backup my photos from my phone. but use DS photo to find them

Not sure if my issue fits exactly here, but ... I've used NASes for years (originally QNAP, now I own 2 Synology since a few years ago), and historically always had all of my personal media (pictures, home videos, smartphones backups, etc) in a dedicated shared folder (Media_Personal). Talking of TBs of data here, not an infrequent use case.

Now wanting to start using Synology Photos I find no way to have it see my Media_Personal/pictures content. It seems to be looking only at either the root photos share, or single user's ones. Is there any way to make it see/point to my already existing folders' content ?

I wonder if, looking at past history of Synology apps evolution, this is to be considered as something written into the stone for good, or if there's any chance that raising the issue will be "heard" by Synology.

Because this means that I should otherwise split my personal media in different shares or folders, which also means re-map the Synology Drive synching from the USB disk where I first copy the media from my reflex camera or my handy cam.

Honestly, I'm not sure I understand the rationale for such a hardcoded limit on the app (of course not directed to you, but to the app's product management).

any chance that raising the issue will be "heard" by Synology.
You are welcome to open a "feature" request with Synology. I'm sure you are not alone in this boat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.