Currently reading
Synology Photos custom folders?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have all my photos sorted in folders by name description and year, example "My House"/"Upstairs"/"Bathroom"/"Shower" which I find very easy to find files on DS Photo on my Android. Is it true that you cant use subfolders in Synology Photos? If true then Im not sure I want to upgrade to DMS 7.
Thanks

NAS
DS620slim, DS415+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
No, that is not true. That is stil working ok In shared space.
you can use subfolders, to browse them change the view on top right To map view.

you can not upload into a specific folder from mobile app ….

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
So all of my current folders will be intact when switching to dsm7 and synology photos? Just the same way DS Photo works?

NAS
DS916+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Last edited:
The folder structure will remain, the issue I have, is you CANNOT search for those folders. Eg: you cannot put “shower” into the search field and find the Shower folder, which is the way I always did it in PhotoStation / DS Photos.

Makes it very difficult to find holidays or events that are in titled folders.
-- post merged: --

you can not upload into a specific folder from mobile app ….
that really sh*ts me, used to be able to go out, take some photos, then create a new folder straight from DS Photo and upload them into it.

edit: actually, I’ll have to take back that last comment, looks like you can now create a new folder from both iOS and Android apps and upload selected images.

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
So you wouldnt be able to see a folder called "Christmas 2010"?

I use DS File and DS Cloud to upload my pictures from my phone automatically then view them with ds photo.

NAS
DS916+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
You can see the folder no problems, you just can’t search for it.
So if you have 20 years worth of photos sorted into years/ months/ events etc, unless you actually know the photos you’re looking for is stored in 2016/ July/ Graduation, there is no way of searching for “graduation“.

NAS
DS620slim, DS415+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I can confirm that the app (since app update of today) now allows upload into custom folders. That is pretty quick, as two weeks ago, the issue was confirmed to me as a missing, but required feature. Nice to see it in the app so quickly.
Than the search. That is correct as well, you can search for file names, not for folders they are in.

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Im not worried about searching for them i
You can see the folder no problems, you just can’t search for it.
So if you have 20 years worth of photos sorted into years/ months/ events etc, unless you actually know the photos you’re looking for is stored in 2016/ July/ Graduation, there is no way of searching for “graduation“.
Im just concerned about seeing all the folders and manually navigating through subfolders.

I can confirm that the app (since app update of today) now allows upload into custom folders. That is pretty quick, as two weeks ago, the issue was confirmed to me as a missing, but required feature. Nice to see it in the app so quickly.
Than the search. That is correct as well, you can search for file names, not for folders they are in.
Im not sure I understand uploading from the phone to custom photos. I always use DS File and DS Cloud to upload/Backup my photos from my phone. but use DS photo to find them

NAS
DS620slim, DS415+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
You will need the new app "photo mobile" .
choose "folder view" and you can navigate the folder structure as you wish, upload will be fine as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.