Synology Photos Enable Share Link is being redirected

NAS
D718+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
My share links from Synology Photos are redirecting to an IP address that I don't recognize, looks like it belongs to a Fios router. I copy the link, set it to Anyone Can Download but the link ends up in a different IP address. I haven't had this problem prior to the change to Synology Photos.

Would you mind explaining a bit about your network setup and how exactly are you accessing Photos (internal ip, QuickConnect, DDNS, reveres proxy...)? Maybe someone will be able to help on the matter a bit more with added information.
Thanks. I'm using QuickConnect and I just realized that the link has redirected due to my dynamic IP address. Now I'm currently looking up whether I should use DDNS or OpenVPN to access my Nas and share links through Synology Photos

Upvote 0
I should use DDNS or OpenVPN
This makes sense if you are running with a dynamic IP + QC combo. Using DDNS you will still have your public IP address as dynamic, but there should be no conversion whatsoever.

With DDNS you will maintain the usage of your public name, and there should be no conversions.

Personally, I avoid QC for a number of reasons, and this would also drive me crazy for sure.

Regarding VPN usage, if you plan on sharing your Photos with others, it might be a problem for them to access the content unless they also VPN beforehand.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. So I'll decide on DDNS for now. Should I Unregister QuickConnect in my synology.com account?

Upvote 0
My share link has changed, but the browsers still give an error. In Brave it says

This site can’t be reached​

MY SYNOLOGY DDNS HOSTNAME refused to connect.

Try:
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.

In Firefox it says unable to connect. What could be the issue?

Upvote 0
My share link has changed, but the browsers still give an error. In Brave it says

This site can’t be reached​

MY SYNOLOGY DDNS HOSTNAME refused to connect.

Try:
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.

In Firefox it says unable to connect. What could be the issue?
So Photos is working with DDNS and you can access it fine, it's just the share links that give you a problem?

Upvote 0
So Photos is working with DDNS and you can access it fine, it's just the share links that give you a problem?
After setting up DDNS I had to forward ports 5000 and 5001. It seems like the share links are working now. Thanks for your help

Upvote 0
It seems that the links are working intermittently now. This is getting weirder.

Upvote 0
After setting up DDNS I had to forward ports 5000 and 5001. It seems like the share links are working now. Thanks for your help

It’s great that you got it working (or sort of working) but now since you have an idea I would change the default 5000/5001 ports to something else. It’s well known that these are Synology default ports and they’re susceptible to attacks.

Upvote 0
In Control Panel, External Access, Router Config the port connection to 5000 and 5001 was failing sometimes. I just allowed the ports in the firewall and it works...for now. The ports are already allowed in my router settings. Are there any other security blocks that I may be overlooking?

Upvote 0
In Control Panel, External Access, Router Config the port connection to 5000 and 5001 was failing sometimes. I just allowed the ports in the firewall and it works...for now. The ports are already allowed in my router settings. Are there any other security blocks that I may be overlooking?

Sounds like the initial setup of port forward may have been using upnp. If so it’s best to turn that off and just set the port forward manually

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.