NAS Compares Synology Photos for NAS Revealed

Currently reading
NAS Compares Synology Photos for NAS Revealed

Synology Combine Photo Station and Moments – Synology Photos

With the Synology 2020 worldwide reveal started, where we can learn about what is coming in hardware and software from the big name in NAS, today I want to focus on a something that is both new and old at the same time. For those that have owned a Synology NAS for a number of years, you are no doubt familiar with the two popular photo geared applications that are included in DSM. These two applications, the newer Synology Moments and the older Photo Station, are designed to help users handle their photography data, but with a different focus in mind. In an effort to combine the respective strengths of each application, as well as eliminate confusion, Synology Photos is coming and has been revealed to consolidate the two older applications to create one premium photography tool that will be included in DSM 7.0. So, why change things around? Why not keep things as they are with both apps? Let’s discuss.

Continue reading...
- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

Never used Photos station or Moments, so not sure I’ll give this a go, but I might with a smaller scope of photos and videos to begin with. Always found it limiting to have my photos on the phone but also to have to sync it to my mac Photos app. Refuse to put it to the cloud. This version I might change things around. Let’s see what the hands on beta will be like.

Currently, I use Moments also to upload photos from my phone. I'll wait for Synology Photos and try it out. If it won't fit for my needs, maybe I'll just sync photos from my phone to my NAS.

One option that I would hope for is the ability to delete a photo (full sync?) from the NAS when its deleted from the phone. It's a bit of a pain when deleting bad photos from the phone and then have to do the same on the NAS backup copy.

I'm happy with Photo Station and never switched to Moments.
I save all my Photos in my own folder-structure (user/year/event) and manage, rate, adjust my photos using Lightroom. LR has its local database with previews on my computer, as soon as I connect to my NAS it updates the real files on the NAS and vice versa. Synology does the indexing/thumbnailing in the background.
On my mobiles I connect using Photo Station to view and share photos/albums.

This workflow works fine for me.
Moments breaks it because it doesn't use my folder structure and it wants to be "too" smart.

The merge of the two sounds interesting and threatening at the same time. It could be great to get a revamped PhotoStation - on the other hand: It would be terrible if they mess it up, trying to make a "funny" application.

Let's wait and see

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.