DSM 7.0 Synology Photos in DSM7 beta, what do you think?

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 Synology Photos in DSM7 beta, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NAS
DS923+ (16GB)
Router
  1. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Windows
I'm pretty upset with Synology Photos compared to Photo Station. There's so much functionality that's missing compared to Photo Station. Yes, I know, it's still beta, but I expected *ALOT* more considering the development time (we've waited quite along time for DSM7).
The issue that bothers me the most now is that I have duplicate images when browsing with photos, since I store my RAW photos at the same place as my JPEG's. Anyone solved that?

I just tested Photos today and I love it. But, I used a fresh setup for testing imports, face recognition, speed, access, permissions, and mobile access etc. All of that performs great, but haven't had any situation like yours @oRBIT considering there are no RAW files on my end.

I just tested Photos today and I love it. But, I used a fresh setup for testing imports, face recognition, speed, access, permissions, and mobile access etc. All of that performs great, but haven't had any situation like yours @oRBIT considering there are no RAW files on my end.
Just uploaded a bunch of pictures for test purposes. Where do I find the face recognition feature?

Okay, but how can I see it, how can I use the function?

I tried to use the iOS Synology Photos app to backup the camera roll (on iPhone iOS 14.2) to Photos on vDSM.

Mostly worked but it got stuck on a short video that Moments handled back in Nov '19. Toggled the 'only upload photos' setting on and off and the the upload restarted. I probably don't have any other videos in the camera roll so it finshed.

Anyone else have issue backing up videos?

General view: it looks like Moments in a new skin. Had hoped that it would offer a map view not just groups of same location tag, listed alphabetically.

It seems that a folder "People" is missing See: Synology Community
I don't find any folder reflecting the face recognition. Comments on this please...
Nothing much to comment, unfortunately. This looks like to be by design. Face recognition will only work on these models:

I can see the People section under albums just fine on my supported models.

Are you testing this on 216se model by any chance? If so, this is the reason.

Nothing much to comment, unfortunately. This looks like to be by design. Face recognition will only work on these models:

I can see the People section under albums just fine on my supported models.

Are you testing this on 216se model by any chance? If so, this is the reason.
So face recognition will not work on my DS281j ?

At the present date, no. It might change until the final release but atm, no dice.
As you know from my post on another topic, I am just getting into using my NAS. One goal is to have photos taken from my iPhone, my wife's iPhone and iPad go directly (well as directly as possible) to the NAS, and be available on our MacBook Pro. Currently we use Apple Photos and she also use a Google Photos app for cloud storage. I don't want to use third party clouds when I have my own cloud (NAS) in the basement. I do like the facial recognition and location taken part of iPhoto and will often sync certain people or places back to my phone. I was hoping with Synology Photos I would at least be able to open the app and select a folder of a person or place. Maybe this folder would be on the NAS and network connection required with all of those speed issues and such, maybe the Synology phone app would allow for selective syncing back to the mobile device. But from what you are saying this is not going to work at least at this point in time. Any other solutions using the NAS? Should I look at Moments or Photo Station with hopes of moving to Synology Photos at a later date?

Thanks.

A j-series is woefully under-powered for what you seek. Photo Station is the least demanding, however its use would preclude you from upgrading to DSM7 (not that there is any strong need for DSM7).

Should I look at Moments or Photo Station with hopes of moving to Synology Photos at a later date?
As Talos said. Also, keep in mind that synology is advertising Photos as Photo Station + Moments hybrid. This means that in the future they might deprecate those two apps in favor of Photos.

They did it before with multiple apps and I see no reason this happening in this case as well. It might not happen as soon as dsm 7 rolls out but it might happen eventually.

If you want to stick with on premise hosing of your photos but be sure that face recognition will work, might I suggest selling this J model and going for a more beefy plus model.

New to the group here. Hello. I'm struggling to get 600gigs off my iMac on to my DS720. I've tried to drag and drop without luck of completion so I put copied the file to one of my hard drives and then connected it to the usb port of the NAS where I uploaded the photos. It worked except the photos are not viewable. Apple proprietary software to view maybe?? Spent hours on this. Super frustrated. Any help would be awesome. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.