Synology Photos is uploading older MP4 media (with correct metadata) to incorrect folders

Currently reading
Synology Photos is uploading older MP4 media (with correct metadata) to incorrect folders

NAS
920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
When I upload a folder to Synology Photos using drag and drop, 95% of the time, the app auto sorts these folders into a Year/month folder format. This has saved me a ton of time, and I LOVE this feature and the app as a whole.

Occasionally it hangs up while loading, so i have to babysit the process (i have to sit and wait for each folder to make sure it loaded, otherwise it times out and I cant be sure), but overall this app alone was worth the price of the NAS unit when you have 20 years of digital photos.

However, this functionality is using metadata dates (media created, date, and date taken from what i can tell) as would be expected to sort the photo/video into folders. But for some reason, and it seems to be mostly with video - even when all the correct dates are there, when i load a file from years back it will do the following:

1) Commonly, it will file the video in the current months and year, but still show it correctly in the timeline.
2) Much less commonly, it will not only file the media in the current month and year folder, but also display it on the timeline as such. (e.g May 2022 when it was taken years ago)

And when I say "commonly", I mean in context of the issue when this happens - generally as i said it works fine almost all of the time.

There seems to be no discernible metadata issue against other photos filed correctly. Yet there they are in May 2022 folders. So is this a bug upon upload process (e.g. over working the processor for example?) Something else?

The fix is to manually drag these photos into the correct folder, but I am wanting to understand WHY this might be happening in order to prevent it. (I still have thousands of media files to load)

1) Commonly, it will file the video in the current months and year, but still show it correctly in the timeline.
2) Much less commonly, it will not only file the media in the current month and year folder, but also display it on the timeline as such. (e.g May 2022 when it was taken years ago)

I recently noticed something similar. Uploaded 200 videos and noticed one video was showing as most recent when on mobile app In the folder. I had sorted by date taken, but this one was out of place (it was a 2021 video). Opening the video I saw the may 2022 date, but looking at the metadata I saw the 2021 date.

Eventually I figured it out, it was a video that I edited on the phone, rotating the video right side up. I guess it was sorting it by some sort of modified date. I reverted the edit on the iPhone and re-uploaded and it was placed in order with the other videos

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.