Synology Photos on DSM 7 is not ready for prime time

NAS
DS1815+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I am running DSM 6.x and Photo Station. No w I got a DS220+ so I installed DSM 7 and Synology Photos. What a disappointment! Can't even select a different background colour, like black, and the there is no Blog section. Until the photo app on DSM 7 becomes usable, I'll not shift to DSM 7.

If I am missing something please let me know.

So what is the point - if any - to consider DSM 7? I will certainly not upgrade as I do photography as one of my passions.
Really disappointed with Synology in this regard.

So what is the point - if any - to consider DSM 7?
IMO, Only FOMO. Version 6 has maintenance support through June 2023... possibly longer.

The only "advantage" I see to DSM7 is the drive cloning feature... which requires you to maintain an unused slot, and is limited to drive replacement in non-crashed environments... so overall, a very marginal case.

Meanwhile.... 3rd-party packages are in a state of chaos (some will never be updated for DSM 7 compliance), USB functionality is further diminished, Docker has become a bit more challenging, particularly with the limits imposed by the Synology Docker GUI... and then there is the dismal Photos package.... a catastrophic mashup of Moments and Photo Station... and a disappointing kernel update... the list goes on ...

... and the NAS Compares "expert" says that DSM 7 is "ALMOST Perfection!"... Give me a break, please.

IMO, Only FOMO. Version 6 has maintenance support through June 2023... possibly longer.

The only "advantage" I see to DSM7 is the drive cloning feature... which requires you to maintain an unused slot, and is limited to drive replacement in non-crashed environments... so overall, a very marginal case.

Snip 8< ...

... and the NAS Compares "expert" says that DSM 7 is "ALMOST Perfection!"... Give me a break, please.
LOL, "ALMOST Perfect", a bit like "Almost pregnant"?
Wonder is QNAP getting ahead of Synology? Looks like Synology has dropped the ball.

then there is the dismal Photos package.... a catastrophic mashup of Moments and Photo Station
Has anyone seen a comparison of all features across Photo Station / Moments / Synology Photos?

Because 'mashup' might be a little wide of the mark from my slight testing of Synology Photos. It looks to be chucking out Photo Station and the only remaining vestige is that the personal photo album is back to '/home/photo'. Otherwise Synology Photos is an iteration of Moments.

Has anyone seen a comparison of all features across Photo Station / Moments / Synology Photos?

Last edited:
LOL, "ALMOST Perfect", a bit like "Almost pregnant"?
Wonder is QNAP getting ahead of Synology? Looks like Synology has dropped the ball.
-- post merged: --

To me, the best thing about DSN 7 is the way Synology uses SHR and BTRFS together. I spoke to a few people here in Taiwan who have over 20 Synology NAS servers in their farm who feel the same why I do.
-- post merged: --

I am running DSM 6.x and Photo Station. No w I got a DS220+ so I installed DSM 7 and Synology Photos. What a disappointment! Can't even select a different background colour, like black, and the there is no Blog section. Until the photo app on DSM 7 becomes usable, I'll not shift to DSM 7.

If I am missing something please let me know.
Photos isn't done, yet. It looks like there will be more work done on it. I hear there is more work to be done.

I made the HUGE mistake of upgrading to DSM 7.0 and Photos. I had a nice setup with DSM6 and all seemed to be good, 35 packages running, and few problems. I upgraded the system to 7.0 and noticed slow - painfully slow- performance. I opened a ticket with Synology and have battled with them. They are now telling me that the system is underpowered and needs more hardware to run the same things. I then decide to unload many of the packages and disable others. I can now show that Photos just is not ready as it hammers the drives and with one user and one phone it becomes unusable and fails - you can not connect to the server to browse the files or do anything.
2021-07-19_17-52-38.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.