Synology Photos slow to load

Currently reading
Synology Photos slow to load

Last edited:
the DS220J was hailed the homeserver of the century.
Sorry to disappoint, but the J-series is woefully under powered and lacks the even minimum recommended RAM for DSM7. Photos, indexing, facial recog, will be massive overheads. Patience is the only hope.

As well... since the DS220J does not support btrfs format, you are excluded from many more advanced packages. It is primarily suited for basic file storage.

If possible, return the unit and swap out for a "plus" model.

Upvote 0
I had 1433 files (mixture of photos and videos only) that was being indexed and since it was indexed, it's actually working much better, not lightening fast but it will have to do for now. I will keep a look out for the plus series, would you then recommend the DS220+ as a viable alternative to the DS220J @Telos ?

Upvote 0
Many post about wanting to process many 10s of thousands, and that takes a very long time with a j-series.

There are rumours of a new DS22N+ so you may want to wait to see if that pops up. It may follow the DS423+ path (which is almost a DS920+). Though it could be a switch from Intel CPU to AMD, like the other newer plus series.

Upvote 0
I have a 100mbs download speed and the DS220J is connected via a CAT6 ethernet cable. I have 2 x 12TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD's installed, using RAID 0 setup. DSM is active, although i have no idea what the benefit of it is. I recently set all this up and have an updated to the latest software on the DS220J.
It's a side issue to the Photos indexing, but if you are fairly new to NAS, are you sure you know the implications of this? It's not a recommended setup unless you're aware of the risks.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.