NAS Compares Synology/QNAP versus Build Your Own NAS

Currently reading
NAS Compares Synology/QNAP versus Build Your Own NAS

Last edited by a moderator:

Is it Better to Buy a NAS or Build One Yourself?

Have you ever looked at the cost of popular Network attached storage devices from brands such as Synology and QNAP, then looked at the price tag and thought “wait…HOW MUCH?!? I could build my own NAS server for much less than that”? Well, you are not alone! There are quite a few experienced PC builders and IT veterans out there who look at turnkey solutions (turnkey, as it ‘switch on and you are largely good to go’) from popular NAS brands and question why they cost so much, especially when the traditional CPU+Memory+Ports combination of most NAS devices is so modest (i.e low powered!). So, today I want to dig into how much it would cost to build the same hardware specifications of popular NAS devices such, do you save that much, what are the pros, what are the cons and ultimately is building your own NAS server from scratch better for you than buying an off-the-shelf NAS drive? Let’s start.

custom-built-server-example-scaled.webp

Continue reading...
- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.