Question Synology RAID Calculator | RAID0 mixed disk capacity

Currently reading
Question Synology RAID Calculator | RAID0 mixed disk capacity

NAS
DS4l8play, DS202j, DS3623xs+, DSM 7.3.3-25847
Looking to redo my backup NAS as I'm running out of capacity. I have 10TB and 6TB disks which I was going to join in a simple JBOD.

Using the Synology RAID Calculator I noticed that in a RAID0 configuration,

Capacity = 10TB + 6TB = 16TB

I always understood that RAID0 mixed disks yielded ...

Capacity = (number of disks) * (smallest disk)

Does Synology do this differently ( a la SHR), or is their RAID calculator borked?

My old Lenovo ix2 NAS [still not dying] is set up with a mismatched 2TB and 1TB. It's doing non-critical Time Machine backups, and radiating heat.

Since the options were RAID1 / RAID 0 / None, I'm guessing 'None' is JBOD as it stores data contiguously vs RAID 0's striping. I don't care either way but I think I opted for JBOD because the disks aren't the same at all and most of the time it will be writing to one disk not both.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.