Synology RAM Vendor Lock DS1621+, DS1821+, RS1221+ and RS1221RP with AMD CPUs

NAS
RS1221+, RS819, RS217
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Timetec DDR4-2666 16GB Replacement for Synology D4ECSO-2666-16G DDR4 ECC Unbuffered SODIMM 2666MHz CL19 Dual Rank

I tested the Timetec ECC RAM that claims to defeat the Synology RAM Vendor Lock in the same manner as the Arch branded memory listed elsewhere. This RAM is available in the US but can be purchased through Amazon EU and Amazon UK for a very reasonable price - £110 or so and the £5.21 delivery charge was discounted at checkout.

Amazon UK listing:

Timetec DDR4 2666MT/s 16GB ECC SODIMM - Amazon UK

Installed and tested over the last 10 days, alongside a Synology SODIMM that is not listed as compatible either.

Code:
Last login: Wed Dec 29 17:42:59 on console
rob@MBP-Rob ~ % ssh rob@rivendell
rob@rivendell's password:
Rob@Rivendell:~$ sudo dmidecode -t memory
Password:
# dmidecode 3.2
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.1.1 present.

Handle 0x001E, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
    Use: System Memory
    Error Correction Type: Multi-bit ECC
    Maximum Capacity: 64 GB
    Error Information Handle: 0x0021
    Number Of Devices: 2

Handle 0x001F, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
    Array Handle: 0x001E
    Error Information Handle: 0x0022
    Total Width: 72 bits
    Data Width: 64 bits
    Size: 16384 MB
    Form Factor: SODIMM
    Set: None
    Locator: DIMM 0
    Bank Locator: P0 CHANNEL A
    Type: DDR4
    Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
    Speed: 2400 MT/s
    Manufacturer: 08F7
    Serial Number: 190723A3
    Asset Tag: Not Specified
    Part Number: D4XS1G082SH24A-B  
    Configured Memory Speed: 2400 MT/s
    Minimum Voltage: 1.2 V
    Maximum Voltage: 1.2 V
    Configured Voltage: 1.2 V

Handle 0x0020, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
    Array Handle: 0x001E
    Error Information Handle: 0x0023
    Total Width: 72 bits
    Data Width: 64 bits
    Size: 16384 MB
    Form Factor: SODIMM
    Set: None
    Locator: DIMM 0
    Bank Locator: P0 CHANNEL B
    Type: DDR4
    Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
    Speed: 2667 MT/s
    Manufacturer: 0C26
    Serial Number: 00000000
    Asset Tag: Not Specified
    Part Number: TIMETEC-ESD4-2666  
    Configured Memory Speed: 2400 MT/s
    Minimum Voltage: 1.2 V
    Maximum Voltage: 1.2 V
    Configured Voltage: 1.2 V

As the Synology Vendor Lock Memory Test looks for specific named manufacturing brands the Timetec memory passes the check in a similar way to the original Synology memory, by listing just 4 digits of hex under the 'Manufacturer' tag.

As the SynoMemCheck only runs a boot and may be skipped entirely due to the boot sequence it can take a while for the check to actually spot 'unsupported' but otherwise ok RAM and actually log and notify it. The check can be run manually though via the command line:

Code:
 /usr/syno/bin/syno_mem_check

There have been no mem_check failures logged under DSM6 or, more recently, under DSM7 and the RAM works perfectly and passes all tests.

Looks like a winner so far and I am now rocking the full 32GB of RAM in my RS1221+.

☕

Timetec.jpg

Uses SK Hynix RAM modules and indistinguishable from regular SK Hynix SODIMMs, so just a firmware tweak to overcome the Synology vendor lock-in.

☕

As the Synology Vendor Lock Memory Test looks for specific named manufacturing brands the Timetec memory passes the check in a similar way to the original Synology memory, by listing just 4 digits of hex under the 'Manufacturer' tag.

good point,

Manufacturer ID
when this ID is defined by SPD Module Manufacturer ID Code (JEDEC Standard JEP106AV), there is "publicly" known the list of the manufacturer and their hexa codes (in fixed form XXXXh), maintained by the JDEC.
Because in this case, there isn't the same code presented:
08F7 ... for the Syno (remember this ID)
0C26 ... for the Timetec
there must be a different method of how Syno checked the "approved" DIMMs inside the NAS, when these two IDs are different and ALLOWED for usage.

even the PN ID is different (expected).
What is strange, the same PN of the Syno DIMM I found here:
from DSLtech (Taiwan) vendor (which uses a Samsung chips only)
with diff:
- 8GB capacity
- PC-17000 modules
- 2133 speed ...... check for the PC-1700 ..... 2133 x 8 = 17000 (OK)
and this P/N you can find in the vendor page with correct data 16GB/2400 SODIMM (what are the expected values) with one difference - the PN is ending with 'A-E' instead of 'A-B' (A-B is an earlier model).

Not enough to me, googling ....

I found in Reddit someone with this exact SODIMM from DSLtech success in Synology upgrade:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and they use the same Manufacturer ID as in the Syno original: 08F7 ..... which means that Synology uses just this vendor for labelling of their SODIMMs.
You can also find there, how to DISABLE the Synology SODIMMs check:
/etc/init/SynoMemCheck.conf
:cool:

Last - SN ID
there is also a difference in SNs between the two DIMMs (expected).

All others data are irrelevant for a check.

Conclusion:
- the DIMM check methodology is hidden in Syno binary and it is unclear, how they "allow" and "disallow" installed DIMM. Maybe just maintain the Manufacturer IDs list - and hide it.
- DSLtech vendor uses the same Manufacturer ID as you can find in Syno DIMMs, including the same PNs. What is clear enough for me.

But thx @Robbie for this kind of exercise kicking.

there must be a different method of how Syno checked the "approved" DIMMs inside the NAS...

Conclusion:
- the DIMM check methodology is hidden in Syno binary and it is unclear, how they "allow" and "disallow" installed DIMM. Maybe just maintain the Manufacturer IDs list - and hide it.

With DSM6 it is easy to see how (and who) Synology is targeting major RAM manufacturers - they maintain an actual blacklist of vendors:

Code:
{"model_number":"Blacklist","recommend":true,"manufacturer":"[\"Kingston\",\"Transcend\",\"0198\",\"014F\"]"}

I am amazed that they actually called it a 'blacklist' and did nothing more than to target the brand under the 'manufacturer' tag and did so in clear text. A simple legal case I think!

In DSM7 it appears to be a criteria maintained in a binary file. We can see what it is doing but the method (or blacklist) is in the binary itself. One suspects that they just made some efforts to hide the list from legal view.

I am amazed that they actually called it a 'blacklist' and did nothing more than to target the brand under the 'manufacturer' tag and did so in clear text. A simple legal case I think!
the reason is here:
/etc/init/SynoMemCheck.conf
contains:
description "Memory Rule Check"
author "Storage Platform Team"

Syno product managers simply left the task to their coders - the check procedure incl. the check logs with the "backlist" label. Done. Works? Yes. Then what?
I'm not surprised :rolleyes:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.