DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Good day, So I have a Synology NAS hosting a Homer container on port 3030.
Using pfSense DNS resolver, I am accessing homer as http://homer.domian.local
I want to access homer (and other local applications) with an SSL certificate.

In psSense I created root and intermediate CA, imported those to my test VMs, and added server certs as custom in NPM hosted on a PI. It works for all apps hosted in PI or other Linux servers, except for Synology's hosted containers or plex app.

For some reason, Synology is conflicting with ports 80 and 443.
I tried to use embedded Synology reverse proxy but it ends up erroring: "Synology, Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found."

Is there a way to redirect Synology's ports 80 and 443 to 3030 internally, without causing conflict with other services that Synology runs by default on those ports?

Reserve proxy rules example.jpg

certs example.jpg

Attachments

• reverse proxy example.jpg
    reverse proxy example.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 35
I gave up trying, and ended up moving all my containers away from Synology to a Pi. When it comes to dealing with ports 80 and 443, Synology sucks. And using this
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
to free those ports, is not an option as it will break other cool features in DSM such as Synology Drive Server and Active Backup for Business

For some reason, Synology is conflicting with ports 80 and 443.
Officially synology's nginx (reverse proxy) uses port 80/443 and those are reserved.

Trying to free them is not recommended and the update will reset that and you are at the mercy of Synology that can change any element at any point.

Using any other reverse proxy would be recommended and you can in facet host it on the NAS on custom ports, while pushing 443 traffic from your router to that custom reverse proxy (on custom, non-443/80 ports).

Basically what you did by moving that task on a separate device.

This is how I have it configured on the NAS, bypassing the built-in default ports and still getting 443 access for all services.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.