Synology RS 812+ to RS 1221+: physical migration possible?

Currently reading
Synology RS 812+ to RS 1221+: physical migration possible?

szueger

Subscriber
NAS
RS 812+ with RX 410 expansion unit
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I own a Synology RS 812+ with RX 410 expansion unit. Both units each are equipped with four 4TB SATA drives. I have two storage pools, each one dedicated to either the main or the expansion unit. Three drives form a storage pool, one drives serves as a hotspare.

I am thinking of buying a new Synology rackmount NAS, and I was looking at the RS 1221+. This device provides eight drive bays, and my wishful thinking suggests that if I simply move the eight drives from my old config to the new config in exactly the same order, that would be the easiest way to migrate from the old NAS to the new one.

Am I wrong or could this work?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Last edited:
You can find a pretty detailed walkthrough of migrating one NAS to another here. One method described is HDD migration, as you ask.

I was going to ask why not the near same specification 4-bay RS822+ and new larger HDD, but then just checked UK pricing versus the RS1221+. There's only a small price increase and you get 4 GB RAM to start with. So not a question really :)

Just need to check your HDD are specifically not excluded on the RS1221+ compatibility list.

Upvote 0
You can find a pretty detailed walkthrough of migrating one NAS to another here. One method described is HDD migration, as you ask.

I was going to ask why not the near same specification 4-bay RS822+ and new larger HDD, but then just checked UK pricing versus the RS1221+. There's only a small price increase and you get 4 GB RAM to start with. So not a question really :)

Just need to check your HDD are specifically excluded on the RS1221+ compatibility list.
Thank you very much, Fredbert, I will do exactly as proposed.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.