NAS Compares Synology RT6600ax WiFi 6 & 2.5GbE Router Revealed

Currently reading
NAS Compares Synology RT6600ax WiFi 6 & 2.5GbE Router Revealed

Synology FINALLY Reveal a new WiFi 6 Router – The RT6600ax with 802.11ax and 2.5GbE​

Yes, you read that correctly. After what seems like forever, the Synology router series is finally receiving its first WiFi 6 enabled solution in the RT6600ax Mesh router system. This, along with the announcement of bigger updates to the Synology Router Manager (SRM) in updates to the web browser GUI and mobile application (DS Router) in SRM 1.3 in 2022, is easily one of the highlights of all the new information shared by Synology in their ‘Synology 2022 and Beyond’ event today. I will be going into greater detail soon on each of the biggest reveals of the event, as well as a full review of the event in its entirety soon), but today I want to focus specifically on the Synology RT6600ax router, as this is going to be a remarkably popular device next year.

Synology-RT6600ax-Router-WiFi-6-Mesh-Ports-2.5GBE-Port.png

Continue reading...
- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

Which is why the 2.5Gbps LAN port is needed. But my latest cable router has 2.2Gbps WAN connection, as well as a single 2.5Gbps LAN. If I were to upgrade then I want a more future-proof option that either LAN or WAN 2.5Gbps.

I see the lead times on business grade kit but haven't seen the specifications being held back either.

The main question is: does this limitation makes sense? And to me it doesn't. It looks like going to market because they feel they need to announce something. But the time isn't right to allow them to announce the right kit.

I'm not in US either.

you're right...I had a brain fart and just realized that it needs to have at least one 2.5Gb out. DoH! :cautious:

Last edited:
I was looking at it as a system upgrade of internal hardware... (All my interconnect to room wiring & jack-fields are CAT6 rated) As, If, and When -- Direct Fiber arrives here on mountain.. (It's in the Valley below us now, just need to convince them to start digging uphill!!)...

The more I work with Threat Prevention, the more I love my RT2600ac Router! TP has become a most important part of my system... An Upgrade to faster WAN/LAN & TP was just what I would want to upgrade the 7 year old system here! But to do so, Wouldn't you need 1GB/2.5GB WAN, AND at least ONE 2.5GB LAN Connection? ONLY ONE 2.5GB Connection? That kinda shoots a hole in my infrastructure upgrade ideas, doesn't it?

I was figuring by the time Fiber gets to our elevation, Firmware on new router would be solid, and I could then upgrade the WAN & LAN infrastructure here at about the same time... Adding a 2.5GB Switch layer to the existing system for subsequent 2.5GB capable devices... Then it would be ready for any subsequent computer or NAS upgrades (maybe a 2.5 GB Ethernet via USB3 connection on existing NAS's?)...
This seems to poke a hole in that idea..... ???

Last edited:
Darn! I knew this would happen!

Wife is aware of Fibre upgrade that could be in future, (When Ameritech connects our mountain). She also understands what higher bandwidth can give from a demo or two of that at our daughters house this year showing benefits, and info from a Television Network Executive we know, who already has GB UP & DOWN. Now THAT was a dramatic demo!!

The new router would be a no-brainer! IF, we could tie a 2.5GB WAN, with just one 2.5GB LAN connection…. Effectively allowing us to add 2.5GB FEED, WAN, and connect it to a new 2.5GB Switch, and move our existing 24 port GB Switch go LAN2………. Effectively upgrading entire system!!!!! And with TP Being part of new router….. IT IS A NO BRAINER UPGRADE!!!

I love TP, and told wife TP wants it to remain in next Router! She is willing to Spend $$ because the logic of this upgrade is so easy to determine!

Wife holds the purse strings, understands, because of demo’s we have already seen — what can be “bought”!!

And up till the point where the new Synology router DROPPED a 2.5GB CONNECTION……

ONE 2.5GB Connection: either 1 WAN, or - 1 LAN connection…. BUT NOT 1 of Each!!!!

UNTIL THAT CAME OUT (Only 1x 2.5GB)

You had a Sale! Now you don’t!!!! Darn it!

PLEASE CONSIDER AN ENGINEERING CHANGE NOTIFICATION TO ALLOW FOR:
100, 1000, 2500 WAN, and at least one: 100, 1000, 2500 LAN port!!!
Sure, if you want LAN 1 to be a 1/2.5 second WAN within LAN, fine…. It appears to be there already!

Don’t skimp on Router Not having Both WAN & LAN having 2.5 Capabilities! Or….. You’ll have a bunch of people hanging back saying……..: “What the heck???”

Does anyone know if any of the new features in SRM 1.3 (other than support for the 2.5GbE and WIFI6, of course) will be accessible by the RT6600ax, but NOT by the RT2600? In other words, if you were inclined to stick with Synology, but had no interest in WiFi 6 or the lone 2.5Gbe port, would there be any reason to upgrade?

Last edited:
The multi level firewall is interesting, but via Static IP on 90+% of gear here, and different firewall rules on Router and NAS’s & outright denying access to some in SA, we have already implemented a 6 step tier of ‘accessibility’ within our LAN between Router, NAS firewalls & SA.

2.5 WAN/LAN Upgrade capability is main reason for upgrade. WIFI6 and better firewall is icing on cake. But it must continue with TP & SA. That, and firmware updates and better cpu & more ram….

Makes it a no brainer update… IF it had 2.5 WAN and 2.5 LAN.

If a change comes about & 2.5 is available for WAN & LAN simultaneously, I’d buy it for the simplicity of the upgrade and continuation of TP & SA.

Does anyone know if any of the new features in SRM 1.3 (other than support for the 2.5GbE and WIFI6, of course) will be accessible by the RT6600ax, but NOT by the RT2600? In other words, if you were inclined to stick with Synology, but had no interest in WiFi 6 or the lone 2.5Gbe port, would there be any reason to upgrade?
complete 1.3 will also come to all current models just not until Q2

Here in Australia, where our NBN for most folk tops out at 100Mbps, and faster plans are really only affordable for business users or the niche prosumer, the Gigabit WAN port is less of an issue.

For my personal use case (lots of fruit-flavoured devices running 802.11ax and a NAS), it almost is worth upgrading from my Rt2600ac, but the effort/cost involved to get my DS920+ running greater than gigabit speeds means I may as well look at alternative options. If I am having to go to a 10GbE NAS, the cost of upgrade for both router + NAS brings other options into play.

I'm also curious to see if the Smart WAN function would provide a workaround, by effectively enabling the LAN1 2.5Gbps port as the main WAN port, either in dual WAN bonding or in failover mode.

The Asus RT-AX86U also has a single 2.5G LAN/WAN port, but it does support link aggregation across the first two 1G LAN ports... will the RT6600AX support LAN-side link aggregation?

The Asus RT-AX86U also has a single 2.5G LAN/WAN port, but it does support link aggregation across the first two 1G LAN ports... will the RT6600AX support LAN-side link aggregation?
We will have to wait and see for the official specs.

I don't need those fast ports yet. Not much need for wifi 6 either. But, will SRM ever have support for SQM to fix bufferbloat?! Considering switching out my rt2600 for a ubiquiti edge router (something higher than the X), just to get bufferbloat fixed. Plus, I'm having to reboot my router every night now, otherwise it has connection problems (extremely slow or nonexistant internet access).

Interesting table showing throughput on edge routers with SQM enabled. Bufferbloat: Why it is Harming Your Broadband and How to Easily Fix It | Increase Broadband Speed

@daptap In the meantime, have you had any success (or failure) applying Traffic Control rules? You can assign three devices as high priority, and three as low. Plus you can assign guaranteed in/out bandwidths for specific devices.

For me the NAS and two devices used for work are high priority. Then each main device has a rule that guarantees, at least, 128 KBps out and 1024 KBps in. Also, some devices are assigned with maximum bandwidth limits.

It would be nice to be able to assign QoS (aka Traffic Control) across devices, rather than repeatedly doing the same specific rules for each device.

@daptap In the meantime, have you had any success (or failure) applying Traffic Control rules? You can assign three devices as high priority, and three as low. Plus you can assign guaranteed in/out bandwidths for specific devices.

For me the NAS and two devices used for work are high priority. Then each main device has a rule that guarantees, at least, 128 KBps out and 1024 KBps in. Also, some devices are assigned with maximum bandwidth limits.

It would be nice to be able to assign QoS (aka Traffic Control) across devices, rather than repeatedly doing the same specific rules for each device.
I'm glad you asked. I thought I had some applied but not seeing so added PS4, my work laptop and apple tv to top 3 priority. I'll have to think about low priority (maybe echos).

And why 128 / 1024 KBps (1 / 8 mbps)? Seems low to me.

Last edited:
Outbound doesn’t need to be that much unless you’re streaming or uploading. Mostly requests are DNS and Web and elicit more data in return.

Also, you can’t assign guaranteed bandwidth that totals more than you set your ISP pipe. And I’m on 20Mbps out, but my limits were set when I was on 6Mbps. I want to leave some capacity for undefined devices so haven’t changed them.

Outbound doesn’t need to be that much unless you’re streaming or uploading. Mostly requests are DNS and Web and illicit more data in return.

Also, you can’t assign guaranteed bandwidth that totals more than you set your ISP pipe. And I’m on 20Mbps out, but my limits were set when I was on 6Mbps. I want to leave some capacity for undefined devices so haven’t changed them.
Got it, helpful. I'm at 500/500. So, I set mine a little higher. I'll play around with it and maybe come back in a separate thread if it is helpful. trying to get rid of latency in online gaming.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.