NAS Compares Synology RT6600ax WiFi 6 & 2.5GbE Router Revealed

Currently reading
NAS Compares Synology RT6600ax WiFi 6 & 2.5GbE Router Revealed

Synology FINALLY Reveal a new WiFi 6 Router – The RT6600ax with 802.11ax and 2.5GbE​

Yes, you read that correctly. After what seems like forever, the Synology router series is finally receiving its first WiFi 6 enabled solution in the RT6600ax Mesh router system. This, along with the announcement of bigger updates to the Synology Router Manager (SRM) in updates to the web browser GUI and mobile application (DS Router) in SRM 1.3 in 2022, is easily one of the highlights of all the new information shared by Synology in their ‘Synology 2022 and Beyond’ event today. I will be going into greater detail soon on each of the biggest reveals of the event, as well as a full review of the event in its entirety soon), but today I want to focus specifically on the Synology RT6600ax router, as this is going to be a remarkably popular device next year.

Synology-RT6600ax-Router-WiFi-6-Mesh-Ports-2.5GBE-Port.png

Continue reading...
- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

What alternatives are popular among this group regarding a capable and easy-to-use home / small-business router?

Synology has lost my future business for DS - now for router. Ron

alternatives
For routers, I really like the Ubiquity EdgeMax series.
The little guy, the EdgeRouter X, is an amazing value for such a very powerful router.

They're not your average off the shelf gateways and come with a bit of a learning curve. More like enterprise routers. If one is not into networking, might find them frustrating. So not very “easy to use” :)

Well it’s official, single 2.5G port. What a waste.
Pfft! And you can quote me on that.

Well it's a 'No' from me then. Having just got a cable modem with WAN capability up to 2200Gbps and 2.5Gbps LAN then the RT6600ax would be an expensive 1Gbps router.

For LAN-side I might as well get more 1Gbps back hauled mesh AP and configure to have clients better distributed.

Pfft! And you can quote me on that.

Well it's a 'No' from me then. Having just got a cable modem with WAN capability up to 2200Gbps and 2.5Gbps LAN then the RT6600ax would be an expensive 1Gbps router.

For LAN-side I might as well get more 1Gbps back hauled mesh AP and configure to have clients better distributed.
Same. This is total waste and not sure who in his/her right mind signed off on this, but there is absolutely no reason to get this as a replacement unit for the current setup.

I mean how much more expensive would this model be if it had 2x2,5G? What a shame. I filled a feature request on this matter, and maybe someone will wake up in Taiwan and before mass production change the specs, but I highly doubt it. Disappointed.

Same. This is total waste and not sure who in his/her right mind signed off on this, but there is absolutely no reason to get this as a replacement unit for the current setup.

I mean how much more expensive would this model be if it had 2x2,5G? What a shame. I filled a feature request on this matter, and maybe someone will wake up in Taiwan and before mass production change the specs, but I highly doubt it. Disappointed.
Yes, 1x2.5G wan 1x2.5G lan would make sense. Even 2x1G wan for dual connections/load balancing and 1x2.5G lan would make some sense.

The announced setup seems to be designed for a very very niche usecase, and leaves a window of opportunity for re-purchase upsell in the midterm 'a la Apple'.

And to play a little devils advocate for fun, maybe the chip shortage has something to do with this?

And to play a little devils advocate for fun, maybe the chip shortage has something to do with this?
That's very generous of you :)

A saving of one 2.5Gbps interface vs the complete rest of the device ... it really must be the end of days 😬 Getting a new router is the least of our worries now.

That's very generous of you :)

A saving of one 2.5Gbps interface vs the complete rest of the device ... it really must be the end of days 😬 Getting a new router is the least of our worries now.

As an electronics engineer working in industrial machinery design (low volume, high cost), I can tell you that any and all electronic components are currently subject to supply chain tension no matter the amount of $$ you are willing to pay for them. If,say, the ethernet transformer for 2.5G (I assume is different fromthe ones for 1G, and has less vendors for it, but not sure) cannot be purchased in suficient quantity, this product, or another potential product in the pipeline that also needs the part would need to be delayed or "paper launched".

Balancing what products you prioritize in manufacturing based on the availability of components is a thing now.

All things said, I still think this is probably not the reason, just my thoughts and a little ranting

Lead times have really gone wild in my industry. Used to be able to guarantee equipment delivery from a couple of weeks to a month, now can be up to three even five months. That’s for kit that ranges from a few hundred USD to a hundred thousand USD.

Regardless, the RT6600ac is still only announcementware.

there is a huge shortage on the silicon needed for networking gear. did you see how Intel cut their NIC line down and EoL'd a lot of their products well before they were due to? and when you look for for networking gear, there is very little selection that's readily available, though I'm in Canada and we're an afterthought in North America, so it may not be as bad in the US as it is up here.

I sell business technologies, so I'm very aware of the constraints with all the discussions I've had with distribution and vendor reps.

This may have been a decision they made, but it also could be a reactionary measure needed in order to launch the product, which is what I hope for as the reason. that said, how many of you actually use the integrated switch on your router for stuff? I don't...I go from my router to a switch and then to my devices, though I'm stuck at 250Mb internet, so I wouldn't suffer with the the Gb ports on this.

and the EdgeRouter X...that's Gb limited, so why is that being recommended as a solution in a thread complaining about Gb limitations, LoL! The SFP+ would work, but at a much higher price and a level or two of higher complexity.

it's expected that they will release mesh AP's for this, which I hope happens sooner rather than later, but if the AP's don't support multi-gig out...well, then it's unforgivable. <_<

...I go from my router to a switch and then to my devices...
Which is why the 2.5Gbps LAN port is needed. But my latest cable router has 2.2Gbps WAN connection, as well as a single 2.5Gbps LAN. If I were to upgrade then I want a more future-proof option that either LAN or WAN 2.5Gbps.

I see the lead times on business grade kit but haven't seen the specifications being held back either.

The main question is: does this limitation makes sense? And to me it doesn't. It looks like going to market because they feel they need to announce something. But the time isn't right to allow them to announce the right kit.

I'm not in US either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.