NAS Compares Synology SRM 1.3 Software Review Part I – Design & Control

Currently reading
NAS Compares Synology SRM 1.3 Software Review Part I – Design & Control

Last edited by a moderator:

Synology Router Manager (SRM) 1.3 Software Review​

I think it would be fair to say that Synology is not a company primarily known for its routers, but more for their range of network-attached storage solutions. Nevertheless, with the release of the brand’s fourth Router (technically their 3rd generation) solution, they still manage to garner a tremendous amount of interest and attention. This is largely down to their routers arriving with one of the most user-friendly, fully-featured and polished outer software in the market, known as Synology Router Manager (SRM). Built with the same attitudes of design, user experience, safety and security, SRM is a great example of making the rather tech-savvy subject of network/internet management CONSIDERABLY easier to comprehend and engage with the methods presented by many mainstream router manufacturers (Netgear, ASUS, Fritz, etc), as well as giving the user many more features than a bog-standard internet service provider (ISP) router would. All this said, SRM (aside from regular security and database updates) does not have the system-wide software updates at the same regularity of Synology’s NAS software, DSM. In fact, despite SRM being released in 2016 (with the RT1900ac), we are only on SRM version 1.3. In that time we have seen 3 versions of Windows in mainstream use, a couple of big apple updates, DSM making its way through several versions and more. So, in today’s review, I want to take a close look at the strengths and weaknesses of SRM 1.3 and guide you on why Synology feel it justifies the lion’s share of the price tag of their fully-featured routers. Let’s begin.

Synology-RT6600ax-WiFi-6-Router-SRM-1.3-First-Time-Setup-10-Desktop-GUI-Medium-1.png

Continue reading...
- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.