Synology to replace iCloud?

Currently reading
Synology to replace iCloud?

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Looking to replace iCloud with Synology.

——
Sounds basic right, set up Synology as an iCloud replacement. To be more specific, looking for apps to use Synology instead of iCloud for syncs etc.

One app, for example, crashes when trying to access the data file of stored on synology via webdav, SMB, AFP - BUT app seems to be fine when data file is on iCloud.

How does one map the functionality of iCloud with Synology?

I think it’s best to set your expectations: functionality generally leads, so what apps you use and like will dictate what content and data storage you can use. Of course personal conviction can determine that you avoid certain apps because you object to who provides them.

I have a few apps that still only use embedded Dropbox sync but they do what I want. But mostly apps on iOS now use the Files interface or have support for multiple direct file sharing types.

Most apps can backup to iCloud without further interaction, and I’m not sure that avoiding this is useful. But there are some main areas of iCloud services you can offload:
  1. File storage and sync: Synology Drive
  2. Photos and video: Synology Photos
  3. Mail: take you pick of MailPlus and Mail Servers… but only if you are ultra keen
  4. Messaging… Synology Chat but you have to get others to use it
  5. Calendar: Synology Calendar but you can’t subscribe to .ics calendars
  6. Contacts: there’s a pattern emerging here

I use both Synology Drive and Photos. Synology Calendar and Contacts are configured and available as a fallback but I use iCloud. In fact I haven’t stopped using iCloud but I don’t storage huge amount of data in it: photo stream gets photos from phone to Mac; backup phone to Mac using iMazing (Finder works too); mail was never really on iCloud.

I find Drive works better than DS file for being available via Files. Synology Photos is interchangeable for Apple Photos, for me, and acts as a backup service.

Maybe if you can be more specific about the hee we’d mysterious ‘one app’?

Last edited:
Well 1st app that comes to mind involving files and syncing would be Synology Drive. Have you tried that one?
Yes, have Drive set up and working. This is more of sync function meaning all data is sucked at all times. Primary looking to save to synology instead of save to iCloud.. and it needs to be in a way where apps work the same za apps recognize synology the same as iCloud. Auto save to synology, not iCloud. One file is a database, which is designed to work from either desktop or iCloud. When I try placing file on the server and then having the app use that file, all will not read the data file. So cloud solution would be to access that database as well.
-- post merged: --

I think it’s best to set your expectations: functionality generally leads, so what apps you use and like will dictate what content and data storage you can use. Of course personal conviction can determine that you avoid certain apps because you object to who provides them.

I have a few apps that still only use embedded Dropbox sync but they do what I want. But mostly apps on iOS now use the Files interface or have support for multiple direct file sharing types.

Most apps can backup to iCloud without further interaction, and I’m not sure that avoiding this is useful. But there are some main areas of iCloud services you can offload:
  1. File storage and sync: Synology Drive
  2. Photos and video: Synology Photos
  3. Mail: take you pick of MailPlus and Mail Servers… but only if you are ultra keen
  4. Messaging… Synology Chat but you have to get others to use it
  5. Calendar: Synology Calendar but you can’t subscribe to .ics calendars
  6. Contacts: there’s a pattern emerging here

I use both Synology Drive and Photos. Synology Calendar and Contacts are configured and available as a fallback but I use iCloud. In fact I haven’t stopped using iCloud but I don’t storage huge amount of data in it: photo stream gets photos from phone to Mac; backup phone to Mac using iMazing (Finder works too); mail was never really on iCloud.

I find Drive works better than DS file for being available via Files. Synology Photos is interchangeable for Apple Photos, for me, and acts as a backup service.

Maybe if you can be more specific about the hee we’d mysterious ‘one app’?
Specific - Want to use a note application that is designed to work with iCloud. Clearly do not want to use iCloud - want to use that notes application with synology instead of iCloud. (GoodNotes, Notion, Notebook all got the bill)

Specific - want to place a data file for Banktovotu on synology. Datafile is designed to work on MacOS or iCloud. Place it on the sever and the app no longer reads the data.

Automations that use iCloud - want to swap iCloud for synology

Yes, have Drive set up and working. This is more of sync function meaning all data is sucked at all times. Primary looking to save to synology instead of save to iCloud.. and it needs to be in a way where apps work the same za apps recognize synology the same as iCloud. Auto save to synology, not iCloud. One file is a database, which is designed to work from either desktop or iCloud. When I try placing file on the server and then having the app use that file, all will not read the data file. So cloud solution would be to access that database as well.
-- post merged: --

Specific - Want to use a note application that is designed to work with iCloud. Clearly do not want to use iCloud - want to use that notes application with synology instead of iCloud. (GoodNotes, Notion, Notebook all got the bill)

Specific - want to place a data file for Banktovotu on synology. Datafile is designed to work on MacOS or iCloud. Place it on the sever and the app no longer reads the data.

Automations that use iCloud - want to swap iCloud for synology
Update - a number of apps do not even give a choice of where to save - or is iCloud or local (topic for another day)

I never really quite got to the full objective, which was to have a self hosted cloud solution which iOS and Mac OS applications would treat the same as iCloud.
• Western Digital MyCloud - fell short in so many ways and software was road block everywhere.
• Synology -closest and happy w/the product (albeit way more expensive than expected.
- What works well would be moving data back and forth
- Works well as a media server
- Flexible to address a lot of needs
• I have also been using Resilio Sync which is solid for file transfer management.

Ideally I want to get an iCloud like solution (which I think exists in Synology and will revisit someday) to be able to save and work from shared documents. This hasn't been an urgent need and Resilio Sync works well as 'updating' syncs however it isn't one document shared in one space.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.