Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Last edited:
Recently, I installed a DS223 with two 4TB SSDs for a client's small office for few non-technical individuals. They asked me to find, purchase and set up a video surveillance system 16 channel with initial 8-10 cams. The building is wired for IP cameras. I noted the existence of the Surveillance Station on the NAS and I believe DS223 supports 16 cams.
I am interested in understanding how this solution compares to companies with a primary focus on security, such as GW Security, Lorex, Swann, etc. If anyone who has installed these systems before could kindly share some pros and cons regarding the choice between Synology and midrange security companies (budget ~2Kish) , I would highly appreciate the insights.

I'm not an expert on neither video surveillance system but super interested to learn. I have done hours of research and totally dig the tech. Planning to use&set up smart alerts for faces, pets, packages, intrusion detection and use available deterrence features.

Last edited:
I noted the existence of the Surveillance Station on the NAS and I believe DS223 supports 16 cams
I can't give you much feedback on other NVRs such as Lorex, Swann, etc, but I can give you some insight how Synology's Surveillance Station works.

I have 5 cameras (four TC500s and one HikVision) running my home security system on my DS220+. It works well. However, the DS220+ has an intel processor which does some CODEC processing. I don't think your DS223 has the same abilities to process H.265.

I also use the Android version of DS Cam mobile app for push notifications.

My system (running H.264 CODEC) typically consumes 10-15% CPU system when active and about 8% when HOME is activated and only one of my 5 cameras stays on. If you are talking about 16 cameras, on a DS223 that is also serving other NAS needs, you might find that you are CPU limited. H.265 is a far-better CODEC, and I wish I could use it. But my old Android tablet I use as a monitor does not support H.265. I am sure my CPU and HD requirements would go down if I were running H.265.

Synology does make NAS/NVR units that are better suited for Surveillance Station. These also include more AI functionality. You should check this link to find out what kind of CPU/GPU demands a 16 cam system may require: NVR Selector | Synology Inc..

One of the biggest selling points for me to use Synology's Surveillance Station rather than someone else's box is that none of my data goes to someone else's cloud. I control ALL the data. That may be true for others, but from what I saw, HikVision's push notifications went through their (Chinese) servers.

Thank you.
I agree about the performance, even though the small office doesn't heavily use the NAS. After looking into it, it seems only NVRs support the latest cool AI detection. Getting another Synology NVR would be a big investment, so I think going for a standalone security solution with the latest AI detection and deterrence might be a better option.

Most video surveillance comes from China, and having alerts go to Chinese servers doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. In the mid-range category, I found GW Security. The hardware is from China, but the software is controlled locally. Hoping my feed won't end up in the Chinese secret service's hands. ;) :unsure:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.