Currently reading
system update from 6.x to 7.0

NAS
DS215j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have DS215j and want to make an update to the latest 7.x. It can be done only manually. So I tried but I get a message to uninstall the incompatible package 'Java7' to continue the update process. But when I look at the packages available from the web interface there is no Java7 package available. When I use ssh connection and list for installed packages I get info about Java7-7.0.221-0018 installed. I tried to remove it by using command:

synopkg stop Java7
synopkg uninstall Java7

but the first one doesn't work - I get 'Failed to stop package 273' message

without stopping the process uninstall command just freezes.

Any ideas how can I remove Java7 and update my DS215j to the latest DSM?

You do realize that DSM7 will seriously bog down your 215j (Synology warns on minimum 1GB memory requirements in release notes)? If you use it for simple file storage (no packages) it may be fine for your purpose.

I can't address Java7 for you.

You do realize that DSM7 will seriously bog down your 215j (Synology warns on minimum 1GB memory requirements in release notes)? If you use it for simple file storage (no packages) it may be fine for your purpose.

I can't address Java7 for you.
Thanks for the warning. I will not bother updating to DMS7

Last edited:
With the slowdown I personally saw with 6.2.4 over 6.2.3, on my 215J, V7 is definitely out of the question!
A couple days ago, I gave the 215J and one HiKvision camera to my son in law, and warned him NOT to update to V7!
His plan is to use it as storage device only, which 6.2.4 does very well. It has 2x 4TB WD CMR REDS in SHR, so he had the best starting point for free…… that he could.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.