Taking notes on iPad with Apple Pencil and storing on Synology

Currently reading
Taking notes on iPad with Apple Pencil and storing on Synology

I have decided to get rid of all the paper notes in my life! What I want to do is use the Apple Pencil on my iPad, but store the notes and notebooks on my company server, a DS216+. I have fooled around a bit with Apple Notes and I quite like the way it works with the Apple Pencil. Is there any way that I can have my notes stored on the Synology server by default?

Yes, I am aware of DS_Notes and Note Station. I have played around with it and frankly, the ability to use the Apple Pencil for handwritten notes is poor. The application is not very configurable. It always defaults to a thick line size and when you change it, it does not remember the setting. I simply don't like it very much.

I am open to a different notes application which might sync with the Synology server. Any ideas?

A possible way forward maybe with ios15, which apparently allows drag and drop to the Files App. So, if you have your NAS accessed via the Files App, which I do already, then dragging from something like Nebo, Notes, etc. looks hopeful. You may need to have multitasking enabled. (I have not tried ios15, which is currently in beta form, but so many of my apps have been updating recently that I suspect that ios15 is not too far away.)

I hope this helps you.

I am open to a different notes application which might sync with the Synology server. Any ideas?

Hi,

Take a look at this. I came across it a few days ago. What caught my attention is that it supports WebDAV. I didn’t buy it, but it says that you can create PDFs (not only open them).

Thank you everyone for your advice. Here is what I am moving forward with for now...
I am using the GoodNotes app on my ipad. It does a decent job with the Apple Pencil and organization of notes into notebooks. It has an automatic sync feature with Google Drive that will sync both the native format and a PDF version. I am then using Cloud Sync on my NAS to sync the Google Drive with a folder on the NAS.

It gets the job done. I would prefer not to use Google Drive as an intermediary, but this works.

Just remember, Google is not about privacy. So anything that you put on Google or through Google or even around Google will be seen by Google and used however they should choose to use it for advertising or selling it to advertisers or whatever.

if you don’t care about privacy, go for it! But if you care about your privacy and who has what information, I would think twice about convenience and more about your security and privacy.

That's not totally accurate. Google has a terms of service and a privacy policy. They do not use files stored on Google Drive for advertising purposes and they do not sell your information to advertisers in the same way Facebook does.

That said, I would love to be able to store directly on Synology OR I would love to have the Synology Cloud Sync work with iCloud. But neither of those options are available to me. Pencil support in DS Notes is just not that great.

Google has a terms of service and a privacy policy.

I don’t trust them :)

I think that article refers more to Android, Chrome, and advertisements on websites. I already run Privacy Badger on Firefox.

From How Drive protects your privacy & keeps you in control - Google Drive Help

Drive doesn’t use your content for advertising​

We don’t use information in apps where you primarily store personal content—including Drive—for advertising purposes, period.

You are right to not trust Google that much, but is Microsoft any better with Onedrive?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.