The account or password is invalid

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi there
I am having trouble accessing my account and NAS. I have reset my password twice - apparently successfully but I get the invalid message.
I am very much a newbie and to date have just loaded photo files
I have recently moved house and while the LAN is blinking green and the device can be found I simply can’t log in

Hi there
I am having trouble accessing my account and NAS. I have reset my password twice - apparently successfully but I get the invalid message.
I am very much a newbie and to date have just loaded photo files
I have recently moved house and while the LAN is blinking green and the device can be found I simply can’t log in
Hi Joel, welcome!

This account, is that the only account you have configured on your NAS? If so, then use the method 1 network and password reset process to try and get back on track.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
@Rusty, just a general question....

Edited and reworded...
I'm not having any login issues myself, but is it ever advisable for a home or business use-case to have more than one admin login. The reason I ask is that I have seen several posts over the past several months from those with login issues and wonder if any of these issues are hardware or software related that would/could potentially be solved with a "secondary" admin login. Or, are they all cockpit issues.​

Upvote 0
@Rusty, just a general question....

Edited and reworded...
I'm not having any login issues myself, but is it ever advisable for a home or business use-case to have more than one admin login. The reason I ask is that I have seen several posts over the past several months from those with login issues and wonder if any of these issues are hardware or software related that would/could potentially be solved with a "secondary" admin login. Or, are they all cockpit issues.​
Well in cases like the above one, and additional hardend account would come in handy just so no method 1 resets have to occur. Is is a security concern having another "admin" account, ofc, but only if not taken care of it properly.

At least that's how I see it. Saying this, I prefere not to have it but I do have SSH enabled on all the boxes (internally), so that I could use it to log into the box as needed. The login is done with another standard "user" account, then elevated to root. With that, I can then activate the original Admin account, reset the password and log into DSM to fix any other "admin class" account that has stopped running for what ever reason.

Once done, the Admin account is again disabled (password reset as well), and day to day continues on a secondary "admin class" account as usual (ofc if you know what you are doing).

Upvote 0
With that, I can then activate the original Admin account, reset the password and log into DSM to fix any other "admin class" account that has stopped running for what ever reason.

Tks @Rusty. I read your post twice and then when back to the Synology “How do I sign in if I forgot the password for my administrator account” doc (the link you posted in your 1st post in this thread.

It would appear that the RESET process will wipe out everything on the NAS and get you back to “square 1”. Then, with a comprehensive Hyper Backup, one can restore most everything. But this process is by no means easy or fun.

I also looked more closely at what Synology’s DSM Control Panel > Update & Restore > Configuration Backup [Export] actually exports. In the notes of Configuration Backup | DSM - Synology Knowledge Center, it reads…

“When restoring users or groups configurations, the password of the user who is running the restoration task is not restored to prevent the user from being logged out.”

This note implies that user names and passwords are indeed saved in the … > Configuration Backup [Export] process. Yet, if I only have one Admin password, and for some reason it fails, I can’t even login to run the Configuration Restore.

So, I suppose my real question has to do with the risks associated with a “single point of failure” of a single admin login credentials. In your case, you have an SSH alternative. I don’t trust myself with SSH (too much power and too little knowledge is an accident waiting to happen). So, you don’t have a single point of failure. In my case, I do.

Now, in my case, I have strong (and multiple) documentation and backups. So that is not my failure concern. Rather, the risk is that something out side of my control (hardware or software glitch or failure) would cause my single admin login credentials to fail. Admittedly, this scenario may be remote. But however unlikely, if it is possible, would having a second admin login even help? Or, what ever would cause a primary login to fail would also cause a secondary admin login to fail on a RAID 1 system?

I just don’t know enough about the likelihood of a hardware or software glitch or failure affecting one login and not another login. I suppose a partial Db corruption might cause this condition.

So, in your opinion, am I chasing a ghost?

Upvote 0
Untrue. Read the details of the reset procedure in the Knowledge Center article
I see that now. I also see on How do I reset my Synology NAS? (For DSM 6.2.4 or above) - Synology Knowledge Center ...

Once your Synology NAS is reset via Mode 1, the following settings take place:
  • Encrypted folders are unmounted and the feature Mount automatically on startup is disabled. For security reasons, if the cypher is a machine key, it is deleted from Key Manager. To learn how to retain the machine key for decrypting shared folders after reset, please refer to this article.
Well, this changes things in my mind. It now appears that resetting the password is not as big a deal as I thought. And my data on encrypted shared folders remains secure (unmounted) even if the NAS is stolen and admin password reset by a thief.

Tks @Telos for pointing me in the right direction.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.