NAS
RS1221+, RS819, RS217
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
The Last Jedi Home Network Rack

This has to be the end.

Started with 5U, then 9U before pushing through the Spinal Tap limit and hitting 12U for my current rack. Thought that would be enough but here I am, starting to build a new 16U rack and (for the first time ever) it will be fitted with go-faster-wheels:

16U Build 1.JPG

So far I have bolted the rack together, dropped in a new UPS and started to fit the dumb accessories. My current rack is still up and running and needed for work so sequencing the down-time for the things that will be moved over will be a challenge.

I could do a story of the build if anyone is interested. I'm in the UK where space for home racks and associated cabling is always at a premium, so everything about my rack builds to date have size (especially depth), noise and thermal management as the main considerations.

But I must stop at 16U. 🙃

I'm not sure which is more impressive, the rack or that neatly organized toolkit :)

My wife accuses me of repeatedly buying the same tools because I always lose them.
I need to "streamline" my operations. Time to unleash the full power of Synology's streamlining capabilities.

(Yeah I know. I've unleashed it before but it got interrupted. But this time I'm streamlining the unleashing of the streamlining. Stand by).

I'm not sure which is more impressive, the rack or that neatly organized toolkit :)
That's my 'electrical' bag, rather than my 'network' bag....

...shouldn't have needed it but I had a slight oops moment with the house electrics when I attempted the test fit of the new empty rack into the network cupboard.

Not the best of starts. 😱

The Last Jedi Home Network Rack

This has to be the end.

Started with 5U, then 9U before pushing through the Spinal Tap limit and hitting 12U for my current rack. Thought that would be enough but here I am, starting to build a new 16U rack and (for the first time ever) it will be fitted with go-faster-wheels:

View attachment 3245

So far I have bolted the rack together, dropped in a new UPS and started to fit the dumb accessories. My current rack is still up and running and needed for work so sequencing the down-time for the things that will be moved over will be a challenge.

I could do a story of the build if anyone is interested. I'm in the UK where space for home racks and associated cabling is always at a premium, so everything about my rack builds to date have size (especially depth), noise and thermal management as the main considerations.

But I must stop at 16U. 🙃

This looks fantastic mate, if you don't mind me asking, where did you buy this rack from?

Did you end up doing a story of this build process?

It is a Samson SRK16 and available on Amazon.

I did take some shots of the build but no right-up as yet - illness, switch failure, iMac failure and a new puppy have all conspired to get in the way.
Ah, fair enough mate. Was keen to see some more snaps how it all came together!

If you don't mind me asking. what do you use that setup for? Run the company from home?
A little bit of everything really - working-from-home stuff (x2), archives, DRS, Plex, DVR, VMs, media manipulation, transcoding, HomeKit, TimeMachine, content cache, DNS cache / forwarder, GPS/NTP server, IoT, UniFi Controller, domain management, macOS server, Windows server, Docker, Homebridge, iOS management/backups - and the list goes on. It also provides some remote services to my family.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.