Question The need for hardware transcoding capabilities?

Currently reading
Question The need for hardware transcoding capabilities?

NAS
DS220+ : DS1019+ : DS216+II : DS118 : DS120j : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
Hello all,

I need help understanding what’s going on below when it comes to transcoding. I’m always challenged by this subject.

Preface:
I’ve installed Emby media player on my 120j. I was thinking NO WAY it’s going to play anything. To my surprise, it’s playing everything I’m throwing at it smoothly (on a 120j!). The server part felt so light (compared to VS). I’m using Emby iOS client on my iPad and on top of that I’m connected remotely via my OpenVPN!

For the sake of comparison, I installed Video Station. As expected, it kept saying “can’t transcode” for a lot of what I tried (where I had no problem with Emby playing the same media files)! I didn’t try any 4K files as I don’t have any at the moment, but I will.

Do you think Emby’s iOS client is using my iPad to transcode (like Infuse)?!

I’ve just bought a one month Emby premier subscription to play with it more. So far I’m impressed. What’s going on?

But here’s my BIG question:
If I go for 1618+ (or maybe its replacement) am I going to have the same experience with Emby? I’m puzzled.

fredbert

NAS Support
Subscriber
NAS
DS1520+, DS218+, DS215j
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Have you looked at bandwidth usage while playing media? If you can stream using VS with definitely no transcoding then you may be able to see what Emby's usage is and compare bandwidths. If it's about the same then the iOS app is doing and transcoding (and not saving $$/££ on mobile charges) but if lower then the server side will be doing it. But would it be hardware or software? unless Emby say they use hardware and the DS120j can do it.

NAS
DS220+ : DS1019+ : DS216+II : DS118 : DS120j : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
Have you looked at bandwidth usage while playing media?
I didn’t. I might try that and see.
I looked at this table but I’m still equally puzzled.
unless Emby say they use hardware and the DS120j can do it.
I might try posting at Emby‘s and ask if the client side is doing any transcoding. I’ve searched their knowledge base and couldn’t find anything related to my question.

NAS
I did a few tests (using the 120j). To summarize…

If you’re struggling with Video Station (especially if you have a low end model), try installing Emby (that’s what I’ve tried and I love it) or Plex (never tried it on the NAS).

If you still have problems, try Infuse by Firecore, either by itself or with one of the above (Emby or Plex). Infuse with its latest update can integrate and sync with them. However, by itself, it doesn’t have the powerful metadata management of Emby or Plex.

What Infuse brings is the ability to play almost any file. I believe its advantage is that it transcodes directly on the device (e.g. Apple TV) instead of the NAS.

Here’s a NAS Compares article about transcoding.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!