The settings hyperbackup doesn't back up

Currently reading
The settings hyperbackup doesn't back up

NAS
DS212J, DS214play, DS216, DS216play, DS414, DS918+, RS212, RS816, RS819, DS223, DS920+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I was naively hoping that I could "clone" the setup on one of my Diskstations to another, to have the second handy as a swap-in backup in case the first one completely failed. The Diskstation I was cloning does such things as run my mailserver, my reverse proxy, etc. The thought was that if the Diskstation went up in flames, I could just get on the router and redirect all the traffic that was directed its way to the cloned version of it instead.

So I backed up all its settings, file system, etc., using Hyperbackup, and then "restored" all that to the backup Diskstation. But all manner of settings aren't backed up and restored. For example, the reverse proxy setup in the Application Portal; the network settings (such as default http and https ports), etc. I could go on and on.

What this means is that if I ever had a Diskstation go down, and I wanted to restore it from its backup, there'd be tons of settings that I'd still have to remember what they were, and re-set manually. Is that really the way this is supposed to work? Is there NO WAY to set up a Diskstation identically to a failed one by restoring from the failed one's backup? That seems totally unsatisfactory.

Disappointing, but not unexpected. No "bare metal install". Damn.

I'm guessing Docker containers are a total loss.

You should post this over in the "Community" along with a list of all that had to be redone.

I don‘t now if synology has the dd command , with that you can clone the whole disk to other disk,zip,network,...
Read the manual good because many options so you can loose it all.
that commando put into the schedule and you have a perfect disk clone with dsm and settings and data.

Lieven, I think the problem with the dd command in this instance is that if you are cloning from a Synology with, for example, an ARM processor to one with an Intel processor, the destination machine won't work at all, as it's a different compile of DSM and of the apps.

Telos, I think it should be up to Synology to tell us exactly what does and doesn't get backed up, since none of us can come up with a complete list, as none of us are using ALL the features/settings. The system backup page in Hyperbackup does contain a list, but it's a little vague/general. And yes, it's infuriating that there's no "bare metal restore." I don't know how a company that purports to make Enterprise-ready equipment gets away with that.

Count me as naïve too then. I would assume that the reverse proxy config. etc gets backed up too.

@akahan good point on enterprise-level expectations. Shifting loads of data to a new appliance could/will take time, but getting the new appliance set up with the saved config is an expected approach and shouldn't require manually adding in key settings. And especially, if the list of manual settings isn't documented in its entirety.

Seems there's a job for me to do: screenshot the r-proxy settings and other app portal info.

DSM7 should bring NAS configuration backup/restore via C2. That was announced. To what level (what settings) is yet to be seen. From what I understand previous C2 disaster recovery that was in beta was pulled. Maybe this will be a way to backup and restore your NAS (or settings to a new NAS) via C2 as a DR solution. If so, guessing this will be 100% covering all the configuration.

This is one of the things that I'm looking forward to.

Yes there will be. Data atm is the only thing you can backup, so configuration on top of it (or separated from it) will be an option. At least what I got from the presentation. Also Hybrid Storage is coming, so C2 as a service will be getting a boost of features by the looks of it.

Agree 100% with Telos' post #11. In particular, INTERNET ACCESS should not be required for disaster recovery. There needs to be a fully local (LAN or, e.g., USB-connected drive) based method for bare metal recovery. If your "disaster" was due to, e.g., malware, you may want to bring everything up locally and install whatever security measures you need to install BEFORE connecting your servers to the WAN.

Agree 100% with Telos' post #11. In particular, INTERNET ACCESS should not be required for disaster recovery. There needs to be a fully local (LAN or, e.g., USB-connected drive) based method for bare metal recovery. If your "disaster" was due to, e.g., malware, you may want to bring everything up locally and install whatever security measures you need to install BEFORE connecting your servers to the WAN.
Agreed as well. We will see what this config backup solution will offer when it comes time to restore. Maybe c2 will not be the only target option, maybe it would be also possible to use a lan device as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.