This is why I love Docker

Currently reading
This is why I love Docker

That's a good general question and my noob approach is to visit the linked sites to see what they include that may be different/beneficial. If there's an official vs Linuxserver decision then I opt for which has the higher star rating. Also check which gets regular updates.

There's nothing stopping you from try out a few variants. The main thing with any Docker container is to make sure that any important data folders are mapped to NAS folders. Because of the way Synology has implemented the Docker GUI it doesn't have an easy way to move or relink to the previous data (in hidden away folders) when you update a container's image to the latest version.

Help with a "DOH!" question from someone still noob-ish w/Docker...

I searched on "Grocy" and came up w/a ton of containers. Some are add-ons/related, others appear to be cpu-specific (e.g., for ARM) but others just seem like "another Grocy container." How do you decide which one to use, or ID if one is "official" vs ?

For example, how choose between linuxserver/grocy vs. grocy/grocy-docker below.

View attachment 1048
Linux Server
pls, open new Thread for such request - then you can ask for more support

Help with a "DOH!" question from someone still noob-ish w/Docker...

I searched on "Grocy" and came up w/a ton of containers. Some are add-ons/related, others appear to be cpu-specific (e.g., for ARM) but others just seem like "another Grocy container." How do you decide which one to use, or ID if one is "official" vs ?

View attachment 1048
I agree with @Rusty. Linuxserver is well known. They seem to update regularly too. If you want more ideas for apps, here is their complete list of images. Image Status

Thanks for sharing, just put reactive resume on my server. That's 16 containers and still open to installing more.
I'm all about sharing. I think there are so many people out there that underestimate the power of Synology. To think most people only buy these to "store photos" is really a crying shame. If that's the case they should just stick with external USB storage lol. These NAS are more than a storage solution. They are mini servers!

Totally agree, I was actually one of those that just used it as fileserver until a stumbled across Rusty's blog. That opened my eyes to BitWarden and I just didn't look back. I also use it as my own personal Spotify, ripped my whole music collection and can stream it whilst I am at work using VPN Plus on my Synology Router.

Totally agree, I was actually one of those that just used it as fileserver until a stumbled across Rusty's blog. That opened my eyes to BitWarden and I just didn't look back. I also use it as my own personal Spotify, ripped my whole music collection and can stream it whilst I am at work using VPN Plus on my Synology Router.
Are you using Audio Station or a different music server? I'm still to find the perfect solution. There's tons out there but they are all missing features that the other one has.

Are you using Audio Station or a different music server? I'm still to find the perfect solution. There's tons out there but they are all missing features that the other one has.

I am using AudioStation, which works for my needs. I also use the radio function and have the Soma FM stations linked in. As an aside to your question, and not trying to hijack the thread, I use DownloadStation to automatically pull podcasts to the music folder. AudioStation rescans the folder and I get an e-mail to say that a new show has downloaded.

Geeked - trying to setup Reactive Resume got it installed but can't access the app. Did you have to give it a port number, or other special settings? Did you find directions to set it up? I am kind of a Docker Newbie so this might be easy but I can't seem to get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 2.01.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 2.03.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 2.01.47 PM.png

To add to Rusty's comment... I generally head over to Docker Hub and seem how many pulls various images have (I don't give much weight to Synology stars). I'll also check at how recent (and often) the image is updated, and whether the developer has posted a yaml, or described the various docker settings (folder paths, environmental options, etc.). Although Linuxserver.io is a favorite of mine, I'll often choose an image provided by the original source (for example, Adguard Home, by AdGuard, or Plex, by Plex).

I am using AudioStation, which works for my needs. I also use the radio function and have the Soma FM stations linked in. As an aside to your question, and not trying to hijack the thread, I use DownloadStation to automatically pull podcasts to the music folder. AudioStation rescans the folder and I get an e-mail to say that a new show has downloaded.
Ok wait what! I've been looking for a way to successfully create a podcast setup that can do alerts! I'm using airsonic to pull them in and plex to stream. however plex is too slow to alert because it only alerts when it runs the scan cron. Mind sharing your setup? This is why I love this place!

Ok wait what! I've been looking for a way to successfully create a podcast setup that can do alerts! I'm using airsonic to pull them in and plex to stream. however plex is too slow to alert because it only alerts when it runs the scan cron. Mind sharing your setup? This is why I love this place!

I will type up a tutorial post as it will hi-jack this thread and the instructions could get buried.

Geeked - trying to setup Reactive Resume got it installed but can't access the app. Did you have to give it a port number, or other special settings? Did you find directions to set it up? I am kind of a Docker Newbie so this might be easy but I can't seem to get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 1050
View attachment 1051View attachment 1052
Here you are. Quick and dirty but that's it How to setup and run Reactive Resume in Docker on Synology

Check out a post I just put up in the Docker forum for Grocy. Thinking you could take a look at what I posted and correct/enhance anything you see that needs it. Thanks!

Love docker too! It's kind of addictive too. I'm always looking for new container to try out.

I usually do this first in my docker environment in VMM and if I succeed and like the container and I can use it then I put it on the main host.

I prefer the original images, but sometimes forks are better. First I compare the different images and then I look at how often it has been updated and if the container is still in active maintenance. Linuxserver.io is one of my favorites. I also look very often at Bitnami. They also have good containers that work well, clear explanations and up to date.

I myself am still looking for a good working openvpn-client docker container that works with NordVPN. I've already tried several but none of them work with my LAN.

These are my docker containers which I am currently using.

Screen_Shot.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.