This is why I love Docker

Currently reading
This is why I love Docker

I myself am still looking for a good working openvpn-client docker container that works with NordVPN. I've already tried several but none of them work with LAN.
View attachment 1080

Any reason it has to be a container? I have it working well with the built in Synology VPN tool. Just isolate your setup in a synology VM.

Any reason it has to be a container? I have it working well with the built in Synology VPN tool. Just isolate your setup in a synology VM.
I also have the default Synology OpenVPN Client running, but I was looking for an alternative solution to run two OpenVPN clients at the same time connect to different VPN servers. One for my entire LAN Network to protect all the clients within the network (as it is working now) and one VPN connecting for my AppleTV (for Netflix use through VPN).

I don't have a tutorial, but I could write down the steps for you. It will take some time, because unfortunately I don't have much time right now.

Are you using Bitwarden already?

Yes, I am using BW right now. Have also db running for nextcloud. So why not using for bw.

Just remember that I already posted a config file how to setup Bitwarden-mysql;)
Check it out here:

If you have questions let me know.

Last edited:
Linuxserver.io and bitnami images have in common that both use ci servers to periodicly trigger image builds. That's a big plus for both.

Linuxserver.io images are aimed toward beginner friendly home usage. Their containers start as root, do the preparation magic - like fixing file permission on volumes and rendering the environment variables into configuration files - and start the main process with the provided UID/GID. They are broadly used, well tested and good documented. Kubernetes distributions with advanced security (userns mapping) are incompatible with linuxserver.io images.

Bitnami images are aimed towards corporate (development/testing/prodction) and home usage. Their containers do start as a restricted user, render enviornment variables into configuration files and start the main proccess with this restricted user. You have to make sure to either override the default restrictive user (docker run -u / Security Context in Kubernetes) or change the owner of bind-mount volumes to allign with the user inside the container. Kubernetes allows to use init containers to take care of those type of tasks. This makes the images harder to use for Docker beginners. A lot of Kuberentes Helm charts actualy use those images. They are broadly used, well tested and good documented

Then we have the official images which make sense to use if you are entitled to product support and the vendor only supports his official images. Or if the official images are well made, like the mysql, mariadb or postgres images.

Linuxserver.io and bitnami images have in common that both use ci servers to periodicly trigger image builds. That's a big plus for both.

Linuxserver.io images are aimed toward beginner friendly home usage. Their containers start as root, do the preparation magic - like fixing file permission on volumes and rendering the environment variables into configuration files - and start the main process with the provided UID/GID. They are broadly used, well tested and good documented. Kubernetes distributions with advanced security (userns mapping) are incompatible with linuxserver.io images.

Bitnami images are aimed towards corporate (development/testing/prodction) and home usage. Their containers do start as a restricted user, render enviornment variables into configuration files and start the main proccess with this restricted user. You have to make sure to either override the default restrictive user (docker run -u / Security Context in Kubernetes) or change the owner of bind-mount volumes to allign with the user inside the container. Kubernetes allows to use init containers to take care of those type of tasks. This makes the images harder to use for Docker beginners. A lot of Kuberentes Helm charts actualy use those images. They are broadly used, well tested and good documented

Then we have the official images which make sense to use if you are entitled to product support and the vendor only supports his official images. Or if the official images are well made, like the mysql, mariadb or postgres images.
Well said!

I'd really like to learn more about Docker-setup. But I'm a bit "afraid" of these things:
1) Updating a Docker-container doesn't seem very straightforward?
2) How do you migrate/backup Docker-containers? Assume I want to reinstall my NAS someday, how do you backup these things without doing all configuration *again*?
3) Some containers seem to require configuration through SSH. I'm really to old for that, commandline-stuff seems a bit like the 70's aswell I think. :)

1) see: Docker - How to update a Docker container

2)
backup:
- perform step in 1) to use the latest image
- then stop your container
- export its container config
- backup your volume folder.
restore:
- restore your volume folder on the new nas
- Import the container config (if the image is missing, download it from images).
- start the container

if you restore the container config immediatly, the image is high likely still the same; otherwise the container config requires some adjustment to point to the latest image

3) Power users prefer the cli: you can do the same things, but way faster ;) You can use the full power of what docker offers vs. the limited functionality the Docker UI provides. Though, Portianer is a good tradeoff between feature completnes and comfort, see NAS Hosted - Setup and Install Portainer on Synology NAS. I for instance realy hate UIs and prefer to automate everything possible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.