Currently reading
This site can't be reached issue

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Happy New Year to everyone (Posting this on 1st Jan 2021)

Steps Implemented
1. Took a static IP from Internet Provider
2. Registered a domain from ionos.com (let us consider example.com)
3. Created the below DNS records @ ionos (Masking the ip address and domain name)

1609525550416.png

4. Installed DNS Server and created the below entries
1609526112853.png

5. Installed webstation and copied my website.

Issue now is, I am able to access the site only using
Code:
https://example.com

if I plainly keyin www.example.com I am not able to access the site. Please suggest

Last edited:
Hi,

And a happy new year to you too.

For ionos:
Use a CNAME (Canonical Name) record for www, not an A record. www is a subdomain.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Can you elaborate? Couldn't get this.

CNAME record is not taking the IP Address, it needs a domain name.

1609563046242.png

Last edited:
CNAME record is not taking the IP Address, it needs a domain name.
Yes correct.
Replace the last line to be
CNAME www your_domain_name

Check using DNS Checker - DNS Propagation Check & DNS Lookup
-- post merged: --

Also double check the mail records (Lines 3 and 4).
I don’t know why you have two mail entries in there. Should be one MX record, unless I’m missing something.

1. Made the change on ionos. After a few hours, I did a nslookup and it is pointing to the correct IP. However, the issue is not resolved and the site is still can't be reached. I believe it is something that I need to see on the Synology server. I will check it.

2. Regarding the Mail server, I read somewhere that I need to have an "A Record" and "MX record" and hence I created both of them. Once I am done with setting up the website, I will start working on the mail server. Still, more time to configure it.

So you’ve setup your Internet DNS resolution that tells Internet clients to go to your static Internet IP. And you’ve setup LAN DNS resolution that points its name server back out to your static IP too.

I’m not sure from where you’re testing access to the web service: Internet or LAN? Where is the client device getting its DNS resolution?

What role is DSM’s DNS Server performing here? If it’s for LAN devices then you can point an A record to the NAS’s LAN IP.

You haven’t mentioned any firewall and/or port forwarding rules that you’ve created, unless the web server is directly on the Internet m, unprotected. Eek!

Maybe it would help with a description of what your network setup is like and how you’re wanting to access the web server.

You’re on Mac client so you can open Terminal app and use this to see how the domain is being resolved.
Bash:
nslookup www.example.com

I did not see any use with the local DNS Server (DNS on NAS, ) and I uninstalled it. I have quite a few things that need to be resolved. I don't want to dump all the questions @ once

1)
nslookup mydomain,com reflects correct IP with a non-authoritative response. How ever

nslookup www.mydomain.com gives three different IP's and browser as well never finds the website.

I have an CNAME record for www that points my IP address.

2) chrome -> mydomain.com loads the website, but it displays "Not Secure" in the browser. I have a Let's Encrypt certificate for *.mydomain.com

LEts solve these two problems first

However, the issue is not resolved and the site is still can't be reached.

In general, the problem may happens for failing on DNS lookup . DNS is that network address that translates the website name to its internet address. Most often it causes for not getting the internet connection or misconfigured internet or network settings. Another reason could be the firewall preventing Google Chrome to load the webpage. In most cases Flush Your DNS Cache is solve this problem:

Code:
sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Once the command is executed, OSX will prompt for the administrator password as confirmation to proceed. Also, here are some other possible solutions for This Site Can’t Be Reached, these solutions will try to minimize or remove the error completely and takes you to your desired website in your Chrome browser.

• Restart Your Internet Connection
  • Clear browser cache, history and cookies
  • Reset Chrome browser settings
  • Reset Wi-Fi Modem
  • Restart DNS client
  • Change IPv4 DNS Address
  • Reset the Chrome profile Sync
  • Remove browser extension from Chrome

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.