NAS
DS1621+, DS1019+, DS218+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm guessing I'm late to the party here, but wondering what people's thoughts are on Cloudflare tunnels?

I set up one tunnel and added a couple of sub-domains to some apps running in Docker on my Synology. I also found a way to set up a wildcard domain for the Cloudflare tunnel, and then use Nginx Proxy Manager on my NAS to handle some of the sub-domains (so not add any sub-domains to the Cloudflare tunnel).

I'm wondering whether to do that and make all/most of my services accessible though the CF tunnel 🤔
If so, would that mean that when on my local network I'd be accessing them locally? (NPM with NAT Loopback)

I'm wondering how safe people consider Cloudflare tunnels and how other people are using them?

Previously I was using Nginx Proxy Manager with SSL certificates but nothing was available outside of my network, apart from withTailscale access.

I also played around with Tailscale funnels and access a couple of sub-domains/docker containers that way.

• No streaming (TOS)
  • Increased latency
  • File size caps
  • Privacy
I don't see a huge advantage unless one is CGNAT bound.
I am bound by CGNAT, but that doesn't really bother me. I like the idea of getting around that without opening any ports.

I am bound by CGNAT
Then your choices are VPS, Tailscale, CF tunnels, or (heaven forbid) QuickConnect.

I like the idea of getting around that without opening any ports.
As long as you're ok with the privacy issues that involves. Port opening, done properly is not an issue to be feared, but for CGNAT, it is relatively moot topic.

NPM adds nothing if you are using CF tunnels.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.