DSM 7.0 Time Machine backup Question, and how does my Storage look?

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 Time Machine backup Question, and how does my Storage look?

NAS
DS218
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello. I am wondering if there is a way to remove a Time Machine backup and force a completely new backup. I have 2 different MacBook Pros set up to use my DS218 for the Time Machine backups. Time Machine 2 is showing me 726GB in Storage Analyzer, but I don't under stand why it is so high since the MacBook Pro backing up to that location has a 512GB hard drive. Maybe I can just delete it all and start fresh?

Also, how does the storage breakdown look? I have no idea what's all in the Synology Stuff folder that it is taking up 1.45TB of space. I think that is where Hyper Backup is located, so maybe that's why?

This Synology NAS is a DS218 with 2 4TB Western Digital Red hard drives that are running out of space, so I'm trying to clear out as much wasted space as possible.

As you can tell I'm not very smart with this stuff so please be patient, and I appreciate all the help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 8.00.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 8.00.54 PM.png
    479.3 KB · Views: 19
Time Machine will save old versions of files with its hourly, daily, weekly, backups. These continue to grow without bound until consuming all storage - or preferably a quota - which is when it will start pruning older versions.

Make sure you set a quota on the share used by Time Machine, typically 2x the size of your Mac’s drive.

If you want to delete a backup, first turn off Time Machine in System Preferences, then delete the disk image from you backup drive. When you turn Time Machine back on after deleting its disk image it will create a fresh new one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.