Time Machine Backup to external drive connected to NAS

NAS
DS 220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello,

I am currently backing up several Macs with TimeMachine on my Synology NAS DS 220+.

Unfortunately, even if you severely limit the available storage and exclude as much data as possible from the backup, multiple TimeMachine backups simply consume an enormous amount of storage.

Since these backups are most of the time "dead data" and will never be needed I actually find the NAS storage to be to valuable for this kind of data.

Also, backups on external drives wouldn't have to be kept so small either. There would be enough space on the external drives for a longer backup-history (something I actually really appreciate about TimeMachine).

Unfortunately, even after some playing around I haven't yet managed to make this work. I always get the error message: "The selected network backup disk does not support the required capabilities".

I simply set it up like a normal TimeMachine backup, except that I chose the external hard drive as destination instead of a "shared folder" on the NAS drive. The external disk is recognized by TimeMachine via the network. But I always get this error message as soon as I try to start the backup.

Does anyone know how this could work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• Fehler timemachine über USB an NAS.jpg
    Fehler timemachine über USB an NAS.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 27
I simply set it up like a normal TimeMachine backup, except that I chose the external hard drive as destination instead of a "shared folder" on the NAS drive
Welcome to the forum!

Not sure I understood this correctly. So you are connecting from TM to your NAS TM folder how exactly? What kind of "external drive" are we talking about here?

Hello,

I am currently backing up several Macs with TimeMachine on my Synology NAS DS 220+.

Unfortunately, even if you severely limit the available storage and exclude as much data as possible from the backup, multiple TimeMachine backups simply consume an enormous amount of storage.

Since these backups are most of the time "dead data" and will never be needed I actually find the NAS storage to be to valuable for this kind of data.

Also, backups on external drives wouldn't have to be kept so small either. There would be enough space on the external drives for a longer backup-history (something I actually really appreciate about TimeMachine).

Unfortunately, even after some playing around I haven't yet managed to make this work. I always get the error message: "The selected network backup disk does not support the required capabilities".

I simply set it up like a normal TimeMachine backup, except that I chose the external hard drive as destination instead of a "shared folder" on the NAS drive. The external disk is recognized by TimeMachine via the network. But I always get this error message as soon as I try to start the backup.

Does anyone know how this could work?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hi i have the same problem. Have you found a solution?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.