Time Machine Backup To Synology NAS

Currently reading
Time Machine Backup To Synology NAS

I thought it was pretty damned good. The only issue I had with it was that I had to allow the Time Machine Backup user access to SMB or it could not connect to the NAS.
Prior to reading this I had my Mac user account used to do the backup.
It makes me think though if I want to restore from the backup I guess I'll need to give my user account access otherwise it'll not be able to get at the data?

Not sure I understand. If you are using local accounts on both the Mac and NAS then there’s no connection between them and the two devices, even if you gave the accounts the same user name and password.

I created separate TM user accounts on the NAS so each Mac has its own. And each of these has a quota so it doesn’t eat all the storage.

It’s possible and ok to use your normal NAS user account for TM. I just wanted to be able to assign quotas.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.