Currently reading
DSM 7.0 Time Machine backups after DSM 7 update

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I noticed that Time machine can't find either the attached USB drive nor has made backups to NAS for 3 days. Two events happened that day. I installed successfully DSM 7 and later that night a thunderstorm, lost electricity for a few hours but UPS took over and all seemed okay thereafter. (Not the it is connected but a Docker package: Handbrake also stopped working after DSM 7 install)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 7.19.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 7.19.44 AM.png
    166 KB · Views: 36
Have you checked:
  1. Depending which file sharing service you use, the NAS has enabled:
    1. Bonjour for Time Machine using SMB
    2. Bonjour for Time Machine using AFP
  2. Time Machine support on the NAS is advertising the share folder you use.
  3. The NAS is still using 192.168.2.147
  4. The USB drive is mounted in DSM as the same volume usbshareX-Y (tip: shares on USB drives can have their name changed to something more useful in Control Panel).

Yes on all 4
(Advanced file services enabled Bonjour for AFP)

When I open Time Machine Preferences I am unable to select either the NAS TM nor the USB TM

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 10.19.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 10.19.43 AM.png
    244.9 KB · Views: 137
When I open Time Machine Preferences I am unable to select either the NAS TM nor the USB TM
The answer will be yes but I'll ask anyway: You have unlocked the preference pane?
1626364674639.png

BTW after being a long time hold-out using AFP for Time Machine, I recently switched off AFP an all my NAS. I've been using SMB for Time Machine since then and it's be much more reliable than AFP was. However, I did find it best to start each TM backup from new and not relink to the previous archive.

yup. Again it is scanning "Looking for backup disk" then after awhile the above notice. "Backup disk not abvailable.
I have done nothing other than install DSM 7

Well this is odd... It appears that TM might one working but how in heavens name did the files end up in Photos?!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 8.58.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 8.58.26 AM.png
    294.2 KB · Views: 140
They haven't ended up in Photos. You may have had the Photos shared folder mounted in Mac's Finder when you we trying to setup Time Machine. It's detected this and written a hidden file to flag that this location is supported for Time Machine. In File Station it doesn't honour dot notation for hiding files and folders and so you can see them.

In days gone by, to use a USB drive attached to an Apple Airport Express/Extreme with Time Machine (rather than cough up for Time Capsule) you had to manually create this hidden file on the USB drive's volume.

Thanks Fredbert I deleted those in the photos folder and I found what was wrong for both the TM (NAS and USB) backups. I went to Control Panel then File Service and found that AFP was not enabled .... It was before DSM 7.... and it mustn't have carried through. So as I type TM is backing up. This forum takes a bit of the stress away as a place I can go to suss out a problem as a newbie stumbling along. Appreciate it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.