Time Machine very slow

Currently reading
Time Machine very slow

Oh no..it's started to do it again, this is so infuriating.
I'm going to start a new thread if that's OK because I've narrowed it down so much.

I'm starting a new thread on this as the reappearance of the 'grinding to a snail's pace' has started to happen again after 3 days. I have not put any extra data on the Macbook Pro and today it, out of the blue, starts the super slow thing again.

(previous thread here: Time Machine very slow)

I have previously: ruled out the connection, I've ruled out any settings errors, I've A/B'd with another Mac backing up to the same NAS, I've deleted and started a new TM backup afresh, I've been very thorough in investigating this and I'm...floored. I don't know what to do anymore. The whole purpose of my NAS is to do TM backup.

Has anyone got any ideas please? Why would it suddenly develop this symptom where it gets half way through a backup and then suddenly virtually stops? This, when an hour ago it backed up in 5 minutes with no problems. Since then nothing changed.

Thanks.

Hi Robbie
OK apologies- can you delete the other post please as I cannot edit it now.
Thanks

@Andy No worries and no apology needed - you are just seeking help. 👍

I'm not a mod so cannot tidy things. One will come along if you drop them a request.

I'll think about your TM issues when more awake - it is 0110hrs here in the UK and looking after a new puppy 💤... raising kids seemed easier!

Andy, I've been following your "Time Machine very slow" thread with interest. I don't have a ready answer; but on the off-chance this might be useful in some way... David "Pondini" Pond was the de-facto guru of Time Machine. He offered a very comprehensive troubleshooting resource on the Web. Unfortunately, David passed away in 2013; but the resource he created is still informative/useful. It has been archived at Apple OS X and Time Machine Tips.

The following links on David's site may be helpful: How Time Machine Works its Magic, Frequently Asked Questions, and Troubleshooting.

Have you posted the issue on an Apple/Mac forum? The "Official Apple Support Community" might be worth a try.

Ron

Last edited:
@Andy No worries and no apology needed - you are just seeking help. 👍

I'm not a mod so cannot tidy things. One will come along if you drop them a request.

I'll think about your TM issues when more awake - it is 0110hrs here in the UK and looking after a new puppy 💤... raising kids seemed easier!
Ah yes but what a joy :)
-- post merged: --

Andy, I've been following your "Time Machine very slow" thread with interest. I don't have a ready answer; but on the off-chance this might be useful in some way... David "Pondini" Pond was the de-facto guru of Time Machine. He offered a very comprehensive troubleshooting resource on the Web. Unfortunately, David passed away in 2013; but the resource he created is still informative/useful. It has been archived at Apple OS X and Time Machine Tips.

The following links on David's site may be helpful: How Time Machine Works its Magic, Frequently Asked Questions, and Troubleshooting.

Have you posted the issue on an Apple/Mac forum? The "Official Apple Support Community" might be worth a try.

Ron
That's really helpful, thank you.

I had one string left in my bow last night- I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina. I have no idea if this will make a difference but it won't do any harm (except my copy of 32bit MacDraft stops working and it's not cheap to upgrade grr) and I've now deleted the TM backup again and started from scratch. I've just done the first subsequent backup and it was fine.
But that's no different than last time: the problems start after 2 or 3 days so I'll report back.

Meanwhile I'll give David Pondini's resource a good read...thanks again Ron.

(I also realised last night there are alternatives- CarbonCopyCloner and Chronosync, if things carry on as they are)

For what it is worth, I've used Carbon Copy Cloner for many years - currently using it for daily scheduled backups of an 18TB share on Synology NAS - to a MacMini with OWC ThunderBay4 - via 10GB Ethernet. I often prefer CCC vs. native Mac/finder copy for large data sets. I can't comment on CCC as a substitute for TM; but it appears to be a practical, viable option.

BTW: We're running TM to a Synology NAS from three Macs with Big Sur. No issues. However we did experience a problem similar to yours with previous Mac OS releases. Our problem, then, was resolved by starting over from scratch, as you are doing. R

For what it is worth, I've used Carbon Copy Cloner for many years - currently using it for daily scheduled backups of an 18TB share on Synology NAS - to a MacMini with OWC ThunderBay4 - via 10GB Ethernet. I often prefer CCC vs. native Mac/finder copy for large data sets. I can't comment on CCC as a substitute for TM; but it appears to be a practical, viable option.

BTW: We're running TM to a Synology NAS from three Macs with Big Sur. No issues. However we did experience a problem similar to yours with previous Mac OS releases. Our problem, then, was resolved by starting over from scratch, as you are doing. R
I think Mac OS is an issue. Big Sur went all in with APFS I believe whilst still maintaining compatibility with HFS+
So being on Mojave was probably not a great idea. Unfortunately Catalina is as high as I can go as Apple have decided my 15" MabookPro 2012 is persona non-grata.

CCC is my favourite application for shifting data around as well as maintaining cloned Mac backups. Also the reason why TM isn’t so important.

One benefit of being stuck on Catalina is recent horror of Safari 15. The tabs are still where they should be and look like Safari 14 and below. On Big Sur it’s awful. IMNSHO

Hurrah!
The Mojave>Catalina update has (fingers crossed) sorted the problem out :)

I wanted to wait 3 days before reporting back but I'm pretty certain I'm in the clear.

A huge relief.

I hope so. But I have 2x Mac Mini 2012 on Catalina plus MBA 2014 on Big Sur and my Mac Mini takes ages still, and I think the MBA does too but I don't check it as much. All have SSD for main storage.

Also, you've lost iTunes and now Mac Photos no longer keeps files in dated folder structures. Plus Podcasts, hmm Catalina Podcasts the place of individually marking episodes played when the sync to iPhone hasn't worked well. So much so that I've moved to using Downcast on Mac and iPhone, really happy with that move.

But that reminds me, Safari 15.1 has been released and something's been done about the awful tabs.

I hope so. But I have 2x Mac Mini 2012 on Catalina plus MBA 2014 on Big Sur and my Mac Mini takes ages still, and I think the MBA does too but I don't check it as much. All have SSD for main storage.

Also, you've lost iTunes and now Mac Photos no longer keeps files in dated folder structures. Plus Podcasts, hmm Catalina Podcasts the place of individually marking episodes played when the sync to iPhone hasn't worked well. So much so that I've moved to using Downcast on Mac and iPhone, really happy with that move.

But that reminds me, Safari 15.1 has been released and something's been done about the awful tabs.
Downcast is great, I've been using it for a couple of years.

Hurray, tabs are now, again, below the favourites bar and how they looked before... and no longer use the favicon as a double-up for closing the tab.

Hurrah!
The Mojave>Catalina update has (fingers crossed) sorted the problem out :)

I wanted to wait 3 days before reporting back but I'm pretty certain I'm in the clear.

A huge relief.
If it does start the slowdown again, could you try clicking "Clear SMB cache" in the SMB advanced settings and see if that suddenly speeds it up again?

I have reported in another thread the issues I have had with the SMB cache on Synology boxes when used with Macs causing a stall which is only resolved by clearing the cache or restoring Samba.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.