Currently reading
Time to upgrade my UPS, hints?

NAS
DS923+ (16GB)
Router
  1. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Windows
The battery has gone bad obviously on my APC ES 550G and it signals this by a high frequent noise that really makes me mad. Are there a better/other model that is compatible with Synology NAS that indicates this kinds of things a little bit better?
I am in no need for an expert UPS, it if can handle my DS918+ for a few minutes and shut it down properly I'll be okay with that.
I saw an APC model that comes with light indicators for bad battery (APC Backup CS 350VA) but is not sure it works with the Synology?

Or just get a new battery? APC say to use one of their batteries but if can find the type then Amazon have a good selection of alternatives.

To turn off the noise you can try Powerchute Personal software from APC.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess I could replace the battery but I'm interested in another model I think. I think it's a bit "clumsy" the ES 550G.
I think the APC Backup-UPS PRO 550VA with LCD looks interesting, but I need to get new power cables to use that one I guess?

Replace the battery with a 3rd party brand, they're not expensive, and then look for a 2nd UPS?

I have 3 UPS and these split the load:
  1. Mac Mini, monitor, its Firewire & USB drives, and the USB hub
  2. DSM NAS, eStat media drive, and USB backup drives
  3. Oooollld time machine NAS, SRM router, modem, and switch
Overkill probably but I thought I'd killed the Back-UPS ES700G so ordered another. It wasn't coming soon enough so ordered a Back-UPS BX950UI and IEC convertors and intended to cancel the ES700G but that shipped too. Then found the first UPS revived and they've been working for over two years.

You can always use the ES500 to keep the Internet router etc running.

I got a replacement battery for the UPS today but it was partly damaged so I don't dare to install it. :/
Anyone here using the APC Backup-UPS PRO 550VA for their NAS'es? I see some reports that they make noise even when they're not charging, comments?

I got a replacement battery for the UPS today but it was partly damaged so I don't dare to install it. :/
You should send it back and demand a new one...

Anyone here using the APC Backup-UPS PRO 550VA for their NAS'es? I see some reports that they make noise even when they're not charging, comments?

I do, but I don't hear anything.. I do hear something soft that sounds like a bit of static if I put my head onto the UPS... :)

I do, but I don't hear anything.. I do hear something soft that sounds like a bit of static if I put my head onto the UPS... :)
On what type of surface have you placed the UPS? Could it be amplifying.

OK, a wooden shelf would generally amplify if there is a noise. My NAS are on a wooden shelf and I use strips of an old mouse mat under their feet: the mat is mostly 5mm of neoprene (Sun Microsystems, circa. 2000).

My NAS (or one at least) has a quiet buzz when providing battery backup. Also now I put my head next to it a very quiet whine. It's not noticeable above other things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.