Tornote - Self-destructing notes (Docker)

Docker Tornote - Self-destructing notes (Docker)

Currently reading
Docker Tornote - Self-destructing notes (Docker)

NAS
DS220+ : DS1019+ : DS920+ : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
I found Tornote, a private, self destructing note creator. This looks great if I can run it on my DiskStation.

It can run on Docker if I understood correctly. Can any brave sole, Docker warrior help please?

I couldn’t use Git so I dloaded the zip file and unzipped it under the docker directory. I hope this is ok.
I then used this command
Code:
docker build -t tornote .

It did a few things and it looks like a container was built.

Then I tried running the third line in the instructions
Code:
docker run -p 8000:8000 tornote

and I get
Code:
Unable to find image 'tornote:latest' locally
docker: Error response from daemon: pull access denied for tornote, repository does not exist or may require 'docker login'.
See 'docker run --help'.

If I start the container using Docker‘S GUI, it starts and stops. I have no idea of how this should work!

I have build it without any errors but when running it I get this (it doesn't event run completly).

Code:
panic: open templates/index.html: no such file or directory

goroutine 1 [running]:

github.com/osminogin/tornote.(*server).Init(0xc000211890)

/go/src/app/server.go:151 +0x57a

main.main()

/go/src/app/cmd/tornote/main.go:57 +0x35b

opened a ticket - Won't start in docker · Issue #7 · osminogin/tornote

Thanks for trying. I think I’ve managed to reach the same:

Step 11/11 : CMD ["tornote"]
---> Using cache
---> 65edabaf4fff
Successfully built 65edabaf4fff
Successfully tagged tornote:latest

Then when trying docker run -p 8000:8000 tornote

panic: open templates/index.html: no such file or directory

goroutine 1 [running]:
github.com/osminogin/tornote.(*server).Init(0xc000281890)
/go/src/app/server.go:151 +0x57a
main.main()
/go/src/app/cmd/tornote/main.go:57 +0x35b

Darn. I wanted this so badly. I told you I’m unlucky with Docker :(

Ok looks like this is expected. The container needs a DATABASE_URL variable. Waiting for the syntax considering that it's not in the documentation atm. Also, this app uses PostgresDB so you will need to run a separate DB container to make this work.

UPDATE: DB problem is fixed now.

Syntax for DATABASE_URL is: postgres://pguser:s3cr3t@youthost:5432/dbname?sslmode=disable

Ok so now everything is fixed. Image in docker hub (latest) is also fixed so there is no need to build the image yourself.

Overall, for you guys that like to stick with Docker UI in Syno, you will have to map a single web port 8000 to a port of your choice and add one enviroment variable:

DATABASE_URL postgres://pguser:s3cr3t@youthost:5432/dbname?sslmode=disable

So be sure that you have a working PostgresDB instance running with a DB name of your choice as well as username and pass. All 3 parameters are part of the URL variable.

Atm, everything loads up fine but clicking the Create note button is registering a 403 Forbidden error on http://youraddress/note destination. Waiting for dev to have a look.

Ok so now everything is fixed

Thanks. But you lost me. So this is for the 1tayH/secret, right?

Image in docker hub (latest) is also fixed so there is no need to build the image yourself.
Do you mean that I can find this when searching the registry now? I searched for “secret” but I can’t find it.

I should install postgresDB?
Installed it. Can’t find where to add a user/password. It starts and then stops “unexpectedly” like everything I tried in Docker ☹️

but clicking the Create note button is registering a 403 Forbidden error on http://youraddress/note destination. Waiting for dev to have a look.

That’s the essence of it 😐
I guess I’ll wait for the Tornote to be fixed since it almost ran.

The only thing I managed to run in Docker is DDSM and then Synology decided to kill it. I can’t even have that as a Docker “success story” 🤣

So it seems postgres runs and stays up after I added the following:

341FBB96-861E-46DB-9B35-84CF580DA31A.jpeg

61E70A93-E7B9-4A93-B242-A7102EE20BCD.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.